Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Forgot a mandatory reload

okorpheus

5 procedurals hurt. In IDPA, I know you have to load to division capacity, is that the case in USPSA. The classifier required 5 shots to T1 reload 5 to T2. Would it be legal to only load 6, that way if I have a brain malfunction I only have to load from slide lock and 1 procedural?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There is no minimum in USPSA. Load'm up to division capacity, and count the shots. Works out better that way. Try it a few times in practice, and you'll find that it's really not that hard to count five shots. If you only load six, it's way too tempting to not count shots, and you'll end up firing six.

Just a thought I had. Counting to 5 is easy. Apparently remembering to do it when the buzzer goes off always isn't. Just a reminder to me o focus nd think through everything before shooting.

Just a thought I had. Counting to 5 is easy. Apparently remembering to do it when the buzzer goes off always isn't. Just a reminder to me o focus nd think through everything before shooting.

It'll get easier with time. The 1st couple of times I shot that kind of USPSA classifier I worried about going over the perscribed amount of rounds fired, so much so that it slowed me way down. Now I don't think about it; I just shoot. Although, practice helps a lot. I know you're not allowed to ghost shoot in IDPA, but what I do sometimes while waiting for my time to shoot, is count silently to five as I'm pulling my trigger finger back. I do this with my hands at my sides. I don't think anybody has ever noticed what I'm doing. I do it over and over until I'm called up to the line. As I step up to the start position, I stop thinking about it. Thinking about it can really screw things up. It's already burned in my mind what I'm going to do, so I don't have to think about it anymore.

Good luck to you.

It happens to the best of us. As you gain experiance, you will think less about the shooting and that will allow you to focus on the other things. Like reloads and stage breakdown

Shooting to slide lock is seldom the fastest way to make a reload. The only exception is when doing so saves you from having to reload when not on the move.

That said, you can load as few rounds in your mag as you like in USPSA.

That's why I thought 6. Would only go to slide lock if reload was forgotten. Reloading from slide lock can't hurt as much as 4 procedurals

That is true, however, I have seen folks get burned doing that, loading down their mags and having an issue where they would have needed the extra rounds. I have watched it on classifiers and on some mid-length (20 rounds-ish) field courses. Guys come up with only a mag or two, depending on division, start the stage and something happens. Some poor guy had two mags, shooting open, both short sticks, on a 28 round COF in a state match. He shot most of the stage on mag one, dropped and loaded mag two, and the base pad fell apart on him dumping 20 rounds of SuperComp on the ground, along with the spring and follower. He just stood there in shock.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't feel like you are alone on this! I did the same thing but the RO was so amazed at my speed, he didn't catch the fact that I didn't do the re-load until I told him. I have shot the same classifier a couple times since and found that counting the shots is ALOT faster than re-loading from slide lock.

I used to reload after each dry fire shot then I started counting and pulling the trigger different set amounts of times before reloading. Now I sub consciously count all most every stage.

Everyone has done it or something close to it. The big thing is to learn from it. I stand behind a couple of shooters as the run the match and count to the course requirements and say the word reload visualizing it in my mind. Then when I get to the line I can just shoot it. Really helps to visualize what you need to do over and over again. Now I find mysle f visualizing a stage from the weekend during my monday morning staff meetings ;-).

• 3 weeks later...

I did that in my first idpa shoot in about a year. I had been shooting uspsa in limited so I was use to 18 rounds. I couldn't shoot a uspsa match that month so I called a buddy and asked if I could shoot their idpa and just not worry about the score card so I could have some fun and get trigger time. Needless to say the 12 round stage with one mandatory reload was completed with 2/3 of a mag. Oops

As a frequent RO shot counting is built into my routine. Production shooter comes to the line and I am automatically counting to 10. If they do not go to slide lock on 11 we have a problem. I count the SS shooters to an automatic 8. If I see them run to the next array without reloading, I am not surprised when they hit slide lock after the first shot. As a Limited shooter I will easily count to 6 for the classifiers. Otherwise I do not count at all. I plan my reloads for 14 to 16 rounds out, or if it is a 20 round stage, I barney the start and only count extra shots on target.