Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

14.5" AR

Vipers

I have a 14.5" coming and wondering if it will be able to handle some of the distances I shoot. The farthest will be 600 yards, mild elevation. Will this work as well as an 18" upper? Thanks

Edited by Vipers

That is bad ass! I have a KAC 14.5" coming. You weren't in W. WA shooting like that were you?! It really does help, thank you. What scope are you using?

Edited by Vipers

Obviously your going to loose some accuracy and velocity with a 14.5 compared to 18. But a quality barrel like your kac should be be able to hit 600 yds with the right load without a problem. Try a bunch of different loads and see what it likes.

Obviously your going to loose some accuracy and velocity with a 14.5 compared to 18. But a quality barrel like your kac should be be able to hit 600 yds with the right load without a problem. Try a bunch of different loads and see what it likes.

You would lose velocity, true, but why would you lose accuracy?

Velocity yes...accuracy no. All things being equal, a shorter barrel should be a bit MORE accurate because it will be stiffer (please note, this does not apply to all things in life my wife informed me! :roflol: ).

Here is my lil 14 1/2" JP upper based "traveling gun". With the 1X prismatic scope, I am able to hit "body" sized targets at 400 yards pretty easily. Never tried it past that.

Take care,Stan

dsc00359copy.jpg

Good looking rifle. And a good joke ;)

Here's mine. 14.5" with pinned comp for 16" OAL.

As accurate as the JP 18", but less velocity of course. Might not reach IPSC factor with light bullets I guess, but never tried.

post-26131-0-62371000-1362349470_thumb.j

Edited by 3-Gun Sweden

Good looking rifle. And a good joke ;)

Here's mine. 14.5" with pinned comp for 16" OAL.

As accurate as the JP 18", but less velocity of course. Might not reach IPSC factor with light bullets I guess, but never tried.

That rifle looks amazing. Just get rid of that BAD lever thing and it would be perfect!

Everyone is right , slightly less velocity which means it will be " less accurate " out passed a certain distance . The less vel will equal a bigger bullet drop over the same distance as a longer barrel. All depending on how far you're shooting and what you expect out of the gun. Then you have to get into what ammo you're shooting and what twist rate the barrel has. Since it's shorter it may have a faster twist rate then the 18 to compensate for the length which will stabilize the bullet better.

what are you shooting out of it?

also BAD levers are kick ass and should be standard on all ar's

Velocity yes...accuracy no. All things being equal, a shorter barrel should be a bit MORE accurate because it will be stiffer (please note, this does not apply to all things in life my wife informed me! :roflol: ).

Here is my lil 14 1/2" JP upper based "traveling gun". With the 1X prismatic scope, I am able to hit "body" sized targets at 400 yards pretty easily. Never tried it past that.

Take care,Stan

dsc00359copy.jpg

I vote that only us poor forged lower pleebes can call our guns "lil"!! You Seekins Billet upper crust guys have to name it "woodcrest" or "sherman" etc.

Edited by XNavyChief

Only reason I'd buy a 14.5 would be if I was going to use the rifle in confined quarters. Even then, the 5.56 needs at least a 16" to get good terminal ballistics from commercial/NATO ball.

Quite right ol chap! Quite right. Sometimes I am a bit cheeky!

Take care,Stan

dsc00359copy.jpg

I vote that only us poor forged lower pleebes can call our guns "lil"!! You Seekins Billet upper crust guys have to name it "woodcrest" or "sherman" etc.

Would an inch and a half really make that much difference with ballistics?

Only reason I'd buy a 14.5 would be if I was going to use the rifle in confined quarters. Even then, the 5.56 needs at least a 16" to get good terminal ballistics from commercial/NATO ball.

If that's what you have. Run it! Save your lunch money, and buy a 18" upper or gun when you can. Honestly once you are used to the bullet drop, you will probably never know the difference 600m and in.

Short barrels do fine with 75-77 grain bullets in the terminal ballistics department. I would never use ball for self defense if I had a choice at all.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

Short barrels do fine with 75-77 grain bullets in the terminal ballistics department. I would never use ball for self defense if I had a choice at all.

Pat

so does this mean you'd be looking for a 1:7 twist on a 14.5?

You can easily run a 14.5" at 600 with the right loads. Down at Upper Nisqually Sportmans in Easton, WA we run out to 550 yards at 40% IPSC steel AR500 targets. I use 69 smks with TAC. Know your dope and you'll have no issues. I have Rainier RUC 14.5 with a Vortex PST 1-4.

Pat

so does this mean you'd be looking for a 1:7 twist on a 14.5?

I like 1/7 and 1/8 in everything. I like the heavy bullets for a lot of reasons. Better long range accuracy and power as well as better terminal ballistics at all ranges. If I had a 1/9 twist gun I would use a 69 grain Sierra match bullet which is nearly as good.

Pat

This is why I asked this question! My plan is to run mine here at some point. I have an SR25 coming in as well to use out there but want to try a 556. I will put the new NF 2.5 scope on the SR25 and the new Leupold MOD 1on the SR15.

You can easily run a 14.5" at 600 with the right loads. Down at Upper Nisqually Sportmans in Easton, WA we run out to 550 yards at 40% IPSC steel AR500 targets. I use 69 smks with TAC. Know your dope and you'll have no issues. I have Rainier RUC 14.5 with a Vortex PST 1-4.

Edited by Vipers