Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650 Primer Indexing Arm Issue

Guy's,

New forum member, not so new Dillon 650 user. I had 2 Dillon 650's set up and running, then moved and had to sell them.

I got a new 650 for xmas from the wife, and have about 1200 rounds of 9MM under it's belt. All has not been peaches and cream. Did the spent primer mod, remember this from my old 650's. Cut down the Index Ball Spring, helped a bunch. Now, I am experiencing the primer indexing arm isn't advancing the primer disc or is indexing but will not jump out of the primer hole and back rotating the disc slightly. For the last 150 rounds, I have been manually bumping the indexing arm up at the down stroke to make sure it jumps out of the hole, and or travels far enough back to grab the next hole. I have completely tore down the whole machine 3 times now, no mangled primers, no powder stuck in odd places, no burrs in anything.

Has anyone had this issue?

This is driving me bat shit crazy!

Jason

Edited by silverbullet2

I would start with replacing the springs.

Honestly you shouldn't have too on such a new machine but stranger things have happened.

Any binding on the bottom? I am thinking the press washer might need a little cleaning and or grease/oil. If you oil it do it very sparingly.

silverbullet,

you say you tore the whole machine down. I acknowledge that, but somewhere something is binding...

did you tear the PRIMER UNIT apart? as in remove the primer wheel and check under it? I am thinking there is something inbetween the primer wheel and frame of the primer system that is causing the binding that is not allowing the primer wheel to turn freely...

Does the primer wheel have any burrs on it?

Also, check the primer punch, it may have loosened up and is rubbing on the bottom of the primer wheel.

There should be a spring washer on top of the primer advance arm that allows it move up and down into and out of the holes.

and...loosen the two hex screws that hold the primer unit into place, I can't remember for sure, but I think the manual says to tighten these finger tight only.

just a couple thoughts...

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

Just a simple thought , in addition to lubricating , try and loosen the mounting screws to primer assembly , too tight??

I, too, experienced a major improvement to primer indexing when I loosened the two mounting bolts slightly. Snug, but not tight, made a huge difference for me.

Guy's,

I have torn the machine all the way down, including the priming system. The primer disc turns freely. I have tried to run it with the bolts tight, and finger tight and loose. The issue is with the spring, it isn't strong enough to push the indexing arm all the way to the next hole everytime. Sometimes it back rotates the disc so there is no primer ready to go. I will tear it down again, and try everything that you have reccomended. Will keep you posted, Jason

At some point you will just have to call Dillon. I hope they are still answering CS calls as this is one of the best benefits to owning a Dillon. They will make it right one way or another.

Well, for what it is worth after reading your sad tale :

I went out to the xl i have and grabbed the very old primer assembly I have that dates to 1993 and is dedicated now to large primers.

Lucky for you it was just laying there. I dissembled the thing and measured the indexing arm spring at 1.45 inches in length.

I looked in my spare parts collection and found what I THINK MAY be the supposed replacment backup and it measures 1.3 inches.

That is all I know. I could remove the small pistol setup from my press which is a brand new primer assembly dedicated to just small primers but that would cost a bottle of Makers Mark and I ain't buying. I have no idea how long the spring is in that one. Maybe by next month I will.

If your spring is shorter, try stretching it some or go to local hardware , old school kind that has actual hardware as in NOT home depot, Leows, and you can probably find a spring that would do.

I presume the small spring under the detent ball is as it should be as that would sure lead to some goofy issues.

Keep at it, it has to be something 'stupid'. I have stupid happen all the time to me, it is usually the last place I looked.

While you have that primer disk apart, just give it a flat rub on a sharpening stone

You will be surprised the burs you will then see

Also take your primer seating punch out, soak it in paint thinners or something like that as your punch may not be returning all the way back all the time & rubbing on the bottom of the disk

Your problem is either burs, scratches or its just a bit dirty somewhere

I have had this problem before & chewed up parts before finally fixing it

Yes this will drive you nuts until you find it

Guy's,

Thank you for all the wisdom. I tried calling Dillon for 2 days now, and nothing but a busy signal. It has to be a bad spring. I have had this thing apart about 6-7 times, and nothing is out of the norm. The primer plate rotates freely. When the indexing arm doesn't jump out of the hole in the primer plate, it will not advance to the next primer, so I will have to push the arm up and back while I rotate the plate by hand, so I can prime the next case. I just don't see why the primer disc can rotate backwards slightly. I'd think Dillon should of designed it to only rotate counter clock wise, thus forcing the indexing arm to jump out of the current hole to the next hole.

It just sucks trying to load 2000 9MM's and it taking 2 weeks instead of 2 days like with my other 2 Dillon 650's! Thanks, Jason

When the indexing arm doesn't jump out of the hole in the primer plate, it will not advance to the next primer, so I will have to push the arm up and back while I rotate the plate by hand, so I can prime the next case.

I had this happen a few years ago on mine, cause on mine was a very slight bend in the primer indexing arm, I needed a new one. I replaced it and have not had the issue since. (May not be your problem, however the symptoms sound very similar.)

Yah, I wonder if you post some decent resolution and IN FOCUS pics of that index arm from 2 or 3 perspectives one might see something amiss.

I never had a issue with mine nor have I tried to bend one, but unless it is some crazy hardened spring steel it should be bendable with some good quality needle nose.

Course that would be a hi-risk procedure. Maybe that loop hook bit on the end (the one that plops in the disk hole's) just needs to extend a wee bit further into the holes

or needs a slight bias tweek at a angle.

I can imagine the aggravation. Its all those damn new re-loaders out there messing up us old timers stuff.

GET THE HELL OF MY LAWN.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a new 650, my first, back in October and am now experiencing your same problem. I've loaded probably 4k rounds on it and just in the last thousand have been having the issue. The primer advance arm gets stuck in the primer disk and the arm stays compressed. This was initially for small primers, but I've switched the press over to 45, large primers, and have experienced a few sticks. Funny thing is the small primer seemed to get stuck for 1/2 the disk then be ok, then start to get stuck again.

Luckily I can usually feel that there is no primer when the press comes back down, look at it, then take my right hand off the handle, unstick it, and rotate it by hand... but I had a few rounds get through without primers. The small primer setup seemed to be getting better, something is wearing in... but it's still annoying and shouldn't have been getting stuck in the first place. I thought about calling Dillon, but a friend said he had to call in first thing in the AM to get through, I'm not a morning person, haha.

It did seem to get better after I took the primer system off, cleaned up some junk that was in there, then put a little oil between the primer wheel and the metal strip that holds it together... I also tightened down the attachment bolts with a wrench... I took the oil off once I switched to LP. When I applied the few drops, I didn't think about it possibly contaminating the primers... that wouldn't be good.

Let me know if you guys find a fix.

Here's some pics.

Primer Arm Normal:

IMG_3343_zps4916866e.jpg

Primer Arm Stuck:

IMG_3342_zpsfd067b37.jpg

Guy's,

I have torn the machine all the way down, including the priming system. The primer disc turns freely. I have tried to run it with the bolts tight, and finger tight and loose. The issue is with the spring, it isn't strong enough to push the indexing arm all the way to the next hole everytime. Sometimes it back rotates the disc so there is no primer ready to go. I will tear it down again, and try everything that you have reccomended. Will keep you posted, Jason

Lube the center pin.

Debur the disc as already described.