Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo for 3 gun nationals

I was informed today that I needed to a hazmat shipper to send my ammo to Vegas for Nationals. Unfortunately they know me at the UPS office so not telling them what it is not an option. I am guessing that finding ammo there will be next to impossible or extremely expensive. I can't carrry enough ammo on the plane to shoot the match.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Mike

UPS is notoriuosly bad for not knowing their own rules and regs, Ammo is not hazmat. Write ORM-D on the boxes and have UPS corporate on speed dial. When they say you can't ship it call the coprorate office and let them explain it to them.

Edited by 3gungeezer

Yep, print off the ORM-D labels and put them on your box, print out your own shipping labels, then either take it to the FedEx/UPS hub, or you can arrange for a home pick up. You can't drop it off at the regular locations or stores. I went to several different stores and called their help line multiple times and got a different answer almost every time. I thoroughly read their own rules and have shipped ammo this way through FedEx many times with no problems.

Open an account at UPS.com, then have your ammo picked up at home. Put an ORM-D label on it and you're good to go.

This. The only question I get when I drop off at the UPS hub is "Would you like a receipt for that?"

Well, years ago, when I was getting out of photography, I got asked about the packaging job I did, on equipment that I was insuring for more than $1,000. Once I told them that I used to work in local, well-known camera shop that shipped 50-60 boxes per day, the questions stopped.....

An account makes the process easier.....

I don't know what the current pick up charge is, I do know that it is less than the price of gas to drive to the hub and back. I've never had a scheduled pick up get messed up, or forgotten. Also, when you have an account, it's much easier to track the parcel, you don't have to type in all the numbers on the label.

Another thing, after I had shipped only a few packages, I was notified that I would be getting a discount due to the amount of what I've shipped.

Edited by Dan Sierpina

Are you going to a ups store(strip mall). Or an actual hub? The stores are a diffrent company that ave diffrent rows. Luckily I I've 5-10 minutes from a large hub ad the ladies there in the evening at every knowledgable and helpful. They don't ship out till after 7 so I wait until a half hour before they close so my gun firearms don't send too much time sitting on a shelf. I learned the first time I shipped a firearm( my 600 yard FTR rifle that is rather large) they asked me to show it was unloaded and clear so I had to unpack the whole thing to show them. All my guns that get shipped have their own pelican cases. The ammo also goes into a pelican. nd I hold onto boxes so I can wrap the pelicans in cardboard so they don't stick out too much.