Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

front sight equation

unit30

so i used dawsons method for determining what my front sight should be in hitting the bulls eye at 20 yards and have a question. if im supposed to decrease my front sight .030 would the exact opposite be to find a rear sight .030 higher? that is if i dont want to lower my front sight.

Edited by unit30

I'm not sure it's a direct correlation.

Unless you're looking at an adjustable rear, it's much easier to find a shorter front sight. Front sight measurements are pretty standard. I'm not sure how many rear sights even offer a height in their description (not that you couldn't find out), they usually just suggest a front sight height. If you like your current rear sight, changing out the front sight will be the quickest and easiest way to get where you want to be.

File is less expensive, just file a little off the back sight, shoot a group, if necessary file a little more. When it's shooting where you want it, file the notch deeper as much as you took off the top and go over the shiny parts with a black permanent magic marker.

File is less expensive, just file a little off the back sight, shoot a group, if necessary file a little more. When it's shooting where you want it, file the notch deeper as much as you took off the top and go over the shiny parts with a black permanent magic marker.

Or black nail polish!