Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wsf powder

gunner40sw

The only powder I have ever used is VV 320. And I am just starting to load 9mm and the load data someone gave me calls for Winchester WSF. Is there just on kind of WSF the one bottle I saw said it was for shotgun shells

Many powders are both Shotgun and Pistol usage. WSF and WST are Winchester Super Field and Super Target. Both designed for shotgun but just as heavily used by pistol shooters.

I use both Clays and Universal Clays as my two big powders. Both are considered shotgun powders. Both are heavily used and documented as pistol powders.

yes ... it's the right stuff

What they are saying (or trying too) is that a lot of powders that you will use for pistol loads were/are intended for shotgun loads as well. However, that doesn't make them any less effective as pistol propellants

Does anyone here use WSF with 40 S&W (in particular, 165 gr plated bullets) or 45 acp (in particular, 230 gr plated bullets) ?

I have just gotten batches of plated bullets from HSM (via IQMetals) and have a lot of WSF on hand.

I've seen data for Berry's bullets posted by Hodgdon and am assuming I could start with the low-end loads for the HSM plated bullets.

Just loaded up 500 125gr precision bullets with WSF and they did great.

Do you mind posting your recipe? I have 2K worth of Precision Bullets 125gr FP's and I plan on using WSF as well. Right now I'm considering the following:

OAL = 1.115"

4.2gr of WSF

.378" crimp

I'm looking for a load that will run universally well through my various 9's (Hipower, G19, P95, XD, P-07).

Just loaded up 500 125gr precision bullets with WSF and they did great.

Do you mind posting your recipe? I have 2K worth of Precision Bullets 125gr FP's and I plan on using WSF as well. Right now I'm considering the following:

OAL = 1.115"

4.2gr of WSF

.378" crimp

I'm looking for a load that will run universally well through my various 9's (Hipower, G19, P95, XD, P-07).

That is right on with what my load is except my AOL is 1.136. Works great in my m&p pros.

• 1 year later...

I have settled on 6.6 gr WSF + 165 gr plated 0.400" FN (HSM/IQMetals) which gives about 1,050 fps in my Ruger SR40. The load burns very clean -- very little residue & clean cases. In my SAR B6P Compact 9mm & GLock 17 I use 5.1 gr WSF + 124 gr 0.355" RN plated (Everglades) for about 1,065 fps, but in the 9 I get a noticeable amount of fouling -- not bad, but more, relative to the 40 S&W. The powder loads are fairly bulky, making an accidental double-charge impossible (FWIW, my loading procedure largley eliminates that possibility anyhow).