Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 cal sns bullets

robman1000

im looking at getting some sns cast bullets, i was looking for some help, right now im shooing percison delta with WSF out of a sti edge and glock 22. i want to keep the same bullet and powder combo, i adjust oal and powder between the two, my ? is wsf good for cast? and woulld a swc or round nose be best. thanks for the help

also i know im going to get a new barrel for the glock before i shoot cast out of it.

thanks rob

WSF is kinda slow, wouldnt be my choice for any 40 loads. But it will work as well with lead as it is with your jacketed bullets. I'd look into WST, Go for the round nose, what power factor you loading ? I always used 180 for major and 155 for minor. I have a couple cases of those bullets being used as gun safe ballast I bought during the last bullet shortage Havent loaded any, but when I was an IDPA shooter I shot lots of plain cast lead, mostly from a local supplier.

4 grs of WST under a 155 gr cast lead at 1.150. gave me about 140 pf in my Hipower.

Though one poster seemed to not like it, WSF is well regarded for use with lead bullets as it will produce very little smoke and make power factor easily. I personally use S&S cast 180grn LFN bullets a lot. I use Silhouette 5.8grns at about 1.135 OAL in a variety of XD type pistols with good results, it giving about 171pf in 4.5 and 5" guns, or maybe 173 in a 5.25. Silhouette has good recoil characteristics, low flash, and meters very well along with producing little smoke with lead bullets. Some use WST as well, though I think it a bit on the fast side for 40 major.