Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A few funny quotes i pick up off the range...

tiger49931

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At a public range I used to go, every so often the range officer would see someone take a shot (offhand, 15y), diddle with the sights, then take another shot, and resume diddling. He'd offer to examine the gun, ask if he could test fire it, then call (and destroy) a piece of orange clay, 12ga hull, or something on the backstop.

"The sights are fine."

When I am running a match and shooters start asking about obvious safety questions, like asking if they can engage a target from a shooting position that puts them well beyond the 180 I like to respond with ...."Every stage provides an opportunity to make the wrong decision. Make your decisions wisely"

Scoring an older gentleman's targets, during a match. The gentleman in question is a very likeable person, very good natured, but some of his ammo seems very, very light. So, scoring a target, I yelled over to him, "Hey (insert shooter name here), how do you think this one should be scored? It's just stuck in the cardboard! "

"Hey, this target has two alpha dents!" :roflol:

Pat

When I am running a match and shooters start asking about obvious safety questions, like asking if they can engage a target from a shooting position that puts them well beyond the 180 I like to respond with ...."Every stage provides an opportunity to make the wrong decision. Make your decisions wisely"

That goes along with what one of the founders of our club tells people when they start asking questions about his stages. He will say "You can do anything that you want to do, you just might have to go home after you do it".

Hurley

At the Alabama Sectional on Saturday I shot one "A" then one no shoot. I knew the shot was bad and immediately followed it up with a second "no shoot" hit. I fired a fourth shot into the "A." I continued and hit one more so shoot. After the RO sounded "range is clear," I asked him for a re-shoot. with a puzzled look on his face he asked the reason. I replied that there were two more no shoot that I forgot to hit. He thought it was pretty funny.

Didn't personally witness it but I heard there was a match where an RO DQ'ed a shooter and the MD came running up and said, "I'm overturning the DQ because he's a new shooter"! :goof::ph34r:

My favorite is asking a shooter "if you're REALLY finished unload and show clear". That's when the shooter starts looking around for the target they ran past or the steel they left up. After the range is clear the ribbing really starts.

Pat

My favorite is asking a shooter "if you're REALLY finished unload and show clear". That's when the shooter starts looking around for the target they ran past or the steel they left up. After the range is clear the ribbing really starts.

Pat

Happened to me. Last shooter on the last stage. Showed me his muzzle at ULASC. MD said it was ok because he was new and the gun was unloaded. Funny, I never went back to that match.

Didn't personally witness it but I heard there was a match where an RO DQ'ed a shooter and the MD came running up and said, "I'm overturning the DQ because he's a new shooter"! :goof::ph34r:

I was ROing at a big regional match. First squad, First day. Noob shooter didn't see a shotgun knockdown until after he transitioned to rifle. Let 'im have it from about 12 yards :surprise: faster than I could stop him. I put the cease-fire to him and DQ'ed according to the written rules. MD came up, looked at the target ( which surprisingly barely had a dent) and said " give him a warning, it is his first match". Okay, they aren't my targets. I don't really mind, except that if an experienced shooter had been DQ'd for the same violation in that match there would have been a $h!tstorm because we let the noob off the hook. I understand not wanting to disillusion a new shooter, but between target damage and potential people damage that was a scary spot.