Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide moves when I dry fire

paul gilman

This is something I have noticed when I dry fire my M&P that no matter how I release the slide, it moves to the front when I dry fire. The reason I bring this up is my 1911 type guns do not do this and they are more accurate then the M&P. I am not saying that the M&P is not accurate, but when shooting groups I can not do as well with it.

It is full size 40 with trigger job, dawson adjustable sights and no matter how I shoot it our what load I try it will not do much better than 4 in. at 25.

Most of my 1911 will do at leased 3 in.

If the slide moves when you dry fire the pistol then you WILL have accuracy issues. Try putting in a reduced power striker spring in it as this will minimize the "Recoil Spring fighting the Striker Spring" situation and reduce the chance of the slide moving when you dry fire it.

about 2000 rds. I noticed this very early in my use of the pistol, I brought this up because interested in any way to make gun more accurate. It is acceptable at this time, can clear plate rack with no problem and shoot over 90% a's on most USPSA stages. I am just looking for ways to improve pistol

How old is your recoil spring?

All my M&P have this movement too. I have just swapped the recoil spring wirth a spare I have on hand and it does the same thing.

I'd like to see the movement in the guns that guys are using 11 and 13 # spring in.

Mine does a similar thing -- there's not much movement, but it's perceptible when the sear releases the striker.

4 inches at 25 yards is asking (and receiving) quite a bit from a service pistol. If you can accomplish that, particularly offhand, then I'd say the gun's just fine for USPSA and other Think-Move-Shoot games.

The best investment I can think of to pick up your scores is range time.