Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Thumb Rest / Gas Pedals

Leftylivesmatter

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a chance to inspect both at the Gator. Both are well made pieces. The angles are a little different. Neither are far enough forward for my liking. Both prevent me from locking my left wrist forward. Those with shorter thumbs may find the position is perfect.

Yup, that's my 5.0 Eagle...ordered witht the full dust cover and a DAA adjustable thumb rest. :devil:

I like it...and it fits in the IPSC gun rule box.

BTW, I've asked Brandon to put one of their SVI's rests on my new SVI gun...I hope to get it soon. :goof::goof:

My bet is these slide stop designs will sell like hot cakes but not even 1/2 or 1/3 will end up using them. Once you figure out that it changes your left wrist angle and you want to shoot SS or Prod from time to time, it's not worth changing anything. Also, by using the rest I also discovered that the left thumb rides straight forward on the frame and you do not want it applying pressure in any direction.

I'm really slow to changes like this, really slow. I know it would probably put me at a disadvantage with shooters who do used these, but it's also not something I would want to come dependant on because I'll always shoot another gun that won't have a thumb rest. I don't think I have ever experienced an issue of what I should do with my SH thumb.

Production is moving along nicely… Getting 25% of the production run done first and hopefully be available the end of this week. Adding a non plunger detent version for older frames who might have a slight misalignment with the factory plunger location. Have ran into this issue once, but want to cover all my bases. Thanks again guys for all the kind words of encouragement and creative criticism. It will only make it a better part.

I just ordered one of the nitro Fins, but I was also looking at the picture on the previous page. I see that there is a thumb rest that is built into the safety. where can I find that part?

Looks like it will be a winter of draw, grip, and reloading practice in the basement for me. :)

I have been running a nitrofin for almost a year. Great product, 100% reliable, repeatable grip. It has made a difference for me and for those I know that use one. Its also nice that it transfers from gun to gun with no mods or drilling needed. Give it a try! Hit me up at demmabt@yahoo.com if u want any more info..sorry for the font size something is up w phone..lol

I just ordered one of the nitro Fins, but I was also looking at the picture on the previous page. I see that there is a thumb rest that is built into the safety. where can I find that part?

Looks like it will be a winter of draw, grip, and reloading practice in the basement for me. :)

That is a thumb safety shield installed by Shay of Akai Custom Guns. It is mounted to the frame, separate of the safety.

Got mine in the mail today. Put it on a backup open gun with no issues. Feels great! Couldn't take a pic with both hands on the gun, but this pic is about where my left hand sits in the grip. For my hand size, the Nitro Fin is just right on the fit. Also, the quality of the part is outstanding. Nice machine work Cuda! Can't wait to give it a try in live fire.

post-18006-0-60254700-1386028682_thumb.j

I got mine in the mail today, and put it in the gun. The slide seems a lot more firm(?). I would say that if the slide was a 5 before, with this in it is 8.5-9. Also the first several times that I racked the slide it didn't go all the way forward. Am I doing something wrong, or does it need to be worn in? I have all winter to get it to loosen up, but just wondering others experience. Love the feel of it. Fits very natural for my hands.

I got mine in the mail today, and put it in the gun. The slide seems a lot more firm(?). I would say that if the slide was a 5 before, with this in it is 8.5-9. Also the first several times that I racked the slide it didn't go all the way forward. Am I doing something wrong, or does it need to be worn in? I have all winter to get it to loosen up, but just wondering others experience. Love the feel of it. Fits very natural for my hands.

Check the diameter of the slide stop pin that goes through the link and the new one, iam sure that's your difference

So according to my digital caliper the stock one is .195 the Fin is .1995. However on my dial caliper they are .197 and .198. I can take my dremel to it and just sand it a bit. I mean for me .005 of an inch is next to nothing. I checked the angle as well. They appear to be the same angle.

IDK if it matters, but it is a Brazos HPE. I wouldn't think that it would make a difference, but just in case.

Edit.

So I took the gun apart completely as I saw I have failed to clean it in a bit(my bad). I reassembled everything fully, and it slides fully forward. still seems a little stiff, which I can deal with it. I am excited to venture out to the range and try it out... Even if it is going to be 12 on Sunday

Edited by Selby213

For what it's worth I've taken the thumb rests off both my Open and Limited guns. Two reasons - higher thumb position risks knocking the thumb safety up w/the left palm, and overall the grip is just not as firm compared to thumb down below the frame & next to the trigger guard. There's a corner on the STI's that raises a big callus on the last joint of the thumb but it's worth it, I shoot them and the CZ's all the same way.

Did a test fire with the Nitro Fin on my primary open gun, STI Steel master, with no issues. Dot tracking was better with than without the thumb rest, which is consistent with previous experience I've had with other thumb rest I have tried. One notable difference is the fit for my grip and hand size felt great, which is why I wanted to try it. I'll be shooting a match this weekend so will see how it goes. Also, I did have some extra tightness with the Steel master concerning the slide going into battery, but not with the backup open gun. I wrapped the slide stop pin in 400 grit sandpaper and twisted it around for a few minutes with test fits until it seemed to reliably work. After test firing about 30 rounds the slide was moving just fine and I never had any problems.