Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Thumb Rest / Gas Pedals

Leftylivesmatter

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it depends on your grip. I naturally grip the front of the trigger guard with my weak hand index finger and apply pressure against the side of the frame with my weak hand thumb. On my limcat open guns I can definitely control muzzle rise more aggressively with a thumb rest / gas-pedal and its the same for my limited guns.

Edited by -Ace-

Depends on how you grip the gun. I tried one on my open gun and found it to help locate my weak hand grip better. It only helps with recoil if you push forward/down and that could throw your sights/dot off. Also if you run a thumb rest without a racker the gun will angle up on table starts making it hard to grab.

I didnt like the angle of the *thumb rest [generic]*, i have a custom with a different angle. More flat is the best way to discribe it. It Works great. It makes the weak hand grip much more consistent, and with it at more at a flat angle I can kinda pinch my thumb and index finger on the frame and pedal, to cut the recoil down a ton. But with a table starts the gun will lean back on the rear of the grip, not ideal for table start but worth it. IMHO

I also tried the Go-Guns pedal on a friend's STI limited gun. I wouldn't have guessed there was a device that could place the end of my left thumb on top of the slide and halfway into the ejection port, until I tried that part. Not a good fit for my hand.

Looking at how i grip the gun, there isn't enough length on a standard dust cover to mount the Go-Guns far enough forward for me. I would have to shift my hand completely out of the locked wrist position that Enos started and pretty much everyone for 25+ years has adopted. I've seen the Doc's videos and as an orthopedist he has every right to describe 'ulnar deviation' as something he doesn't like but I'm not sure he completely understands the benefits of a support-hand wrist that is set at its limit of travel.

Edited by eric nielsen

Ive been using the GoGun model and I found that you need to kinda pinch the trigger with the side of your weak hand index finger while pressing down of the pedal ... makes a really nice flat shooting gun

but because of the pedal and the sight tracker; I had to swap out and play with recoil springs... it totally changed the way the gun needs to feel ...

I like it I have it both on my 6" and 5" limited guns

• 2 months later...

You must remember that most who shoot USPSA primarily have gotten where they are at without one, because they weren't legal. Some folks are simply not gonna switch after decades of training a certain way.

Thumb rests are and have been common place in IPSC standard division.

Try one for yourself.

I find that the thumb rest provides a place to consistently place my thumb, does little if anything for recoil management. Pressing on the thumb rest is bound to steer the gun in recoil and likley result is some unpredictable hits. On the down side Limited guns with holey frames, frames with a lot of holes drilled in them appear to lose substantual value, I don't know that the culture will change with the new rules. But now you got holes for a c-more and you are one step closer to open!

My thumb rest expierence is on open guns, I'm not letting anyone near my limited gun with a drill.

• 3 months later...

A bit of an old thread, but just in case someone hasn't seen them....

If you don't want to drill your frame but want to slap a *thumb rest [generic]* on her.....

Shay's got a new lil' gadget.... can't wait to try mine out this weekend!!

1379626_10152133177403243_1927166392_n.j

A bit of an old thread, but just in case someone hasn't seen them....

If you don't want to drill your frame but want to slap a *thumb rest [generic]* on her.....

Shay's got a new lil' gadget.... can't wait to try mine out this weekend!!

1379626_10152133177403243_1927166392_n.j

Cant see the pic. How about a link.