Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CHARGING HANDLE LATCH ?

perrysho

ANOTHER DUMB BUTT QUESTION.

All the gun rags have ads for charging handles and special latches, that gonna improve your gun handling by a big bunch.

Now what happens when the latch don't latch or one em off brand don't work right??

Does the shooter get a broke thumb or ugly nose in several parts??

Does it retract back with the bolt when fired??

Thanks,

Perry

The worst I've heard with an extended charging handle is the latch breaking and then it makes it very difficult, if not, almost impossible to charge the BCG. I did have latches that didn't lock in tight sometimes but they didn't move much. There is a channel/hole that the gas tube rides in where it connects to the BCG so it should not move at all but it may move slightly.

Those super big Tac latches aren't all their cracked up to be. They down right hurt when you sling a rifle and the big latch digs into your chest or back. I run a PRI gas buster with their thicker latch that simply sticks further forward not outward. You can buy just the latch and install it in one if those sweet Nordic Components heavy duty charging handles for the best of both worlds.

I had an old A1 upper where the notch was worn out, the charging handle would bop me in the nose on most shots. Not real painful, but surely distracting. Of course if you shot nose to the handle it might feel different.

IIRC that was an issue on early M16's as they tried to make the latch out of derlin or some similar material.

If you want an oversized latch for a hard use gun, I would definitely spring for the BCM or something similar.

I found out the hard way with an oversized replacement latch at the range one day. The gun fell over on the bench and the latch bent nealry 90º

Edited by cas

Those super big Tac latches aren't all their cracked up to be. They down right hurt when you sling a rifle and the big latch digs into your chest or back. I run a PRI gas buster with their thicker latch that simply sticks further forward not outward. You can buy just the latch and install it in one if those sweet Nordic Components heavy duty charging handles for the best of both worlds.

^^^This. Had I known better I would have gone this route. I like the Badger enough but it sticks out quite a bit. I also have the BCM and the MED latch sticks out less but the design seems to find ways to pinch my finger every so often.

I've been using our (Brownells) folding extended Paratrooper Charging Handle. You can fold the extension down to keep from digging in, fold it out and it is longer than any other I've seen. Makes a great kick stand. 7075 T6 and really stout. Our design engineer put the test gun in a vise, put on a big glove and banged it back as hard as he could, 1000 times and it didn't fail. It is a tight fit in the notch when assembling, only drawback I've found. Of course I'm a really low level shooter so it's not like Taren or Daniel or Jerry endorsing something. Oh yeah, I paid for mine, it wasn't a freebee

There is a company (the name escapes me) that makes a three gun latch with a large "handle" on the right side. You may or may not like using it that way but it won't dig into you. I use one on a long range rifle but use a medium BCM on my tactical.

I am using the Rainier Raptor. As a left handed shooter there is nothing better. If you are a right handed shooter there are a lot of good options out there like the BCM charging handles mentioned earlier.

edit: If you are a lefty I highly suggest using an upper without a forward assist. Having a FA is in the way of the charging handle latch.

Note there is no FA below the latch to get in the way.

AR-15-06.JPG

Edited by darkvibe

Anyone using the Rainier Arms Raptor ambidextrous charging handle? It looks pretty nice.

I have the BCM Gunfighter Mod 4 on all my Ar-15s, I just put a Rainier Raptor 7.62 on my .308 and love it. As of now it is the charging handle I will use for future builds. Would I buy more just to replace the BCMs? No, they both work great. The Raptor seems to have a more linear pull to me.

Not to get off topic, but how many major matches require slinging the rifle? I have only been to three or four majors and I have never had to sling my AR. Don't get me wrong, I have seen video of Blue Ridge, where I think you had to sling it, but any others?

Not to get off topic, but how many major matches require slinging the rifle? I have only been to three or four majors and I have never had to sling my AR. Don't get me wrong, I have seen video of Blue Ridge, where I think you had to sling it, but any others?

Blue Ridge, Rocky Mountain 3 Gun, He Man Nationals, FNH, but that depends on how you want to shoot the stage. Those are the matches that I've shot that need slings.