Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moving from Production to Limited and clueless which 2011 to get

LoLeft

Let me start by saying I know Jack and Sh%t about 2011 style guns. I'm a Glock and XDM C class shooter. I'm ready to make the move to limited with a 2011. I would like to get a .40 - 6" with a 5" top end as well to shoot once a month in ESP. All other weekends it is USPSA. I'm in Northern California and assume I would have to do a Single Shot Exemption or buy one used PPT. Here's what I am looking at in no particular order. Any input for this rookie would be greatly appreciated. I've done tons of searches here and will try to shoot some others guns at local matches ( Sac Valley, Davis and Richmond) Thanks for the help.

1. Cheely

2. Benny Hill -TSS

3. Limcat

4. Freedom Gun Works

5. Infinity

Edited by MxDad427

I would add AKAI to that list and gvie Shay a call he is always happy to talk to people and give them information...if nothing else you will learn alot. i got mine from him after shooting glock in limited for 11 years. my score went up so quick i am not almost an A shooter in less then 5 months

acguns.com

Can't have a full dust cover for ESP. It all depends on what you want to spend. Most important thing is that it goes bang all the time. Tuned mags are a big plus. Might want tro conside a 5" 40 S&W for both USPSA & IDPA, this way your shooting the same gun all the time. You can down load the 40 S&W to minor PF for IDPA & just resight.

As posted previously, the ones listed are amaing smiths. You also might want to check out Gary Natale at Gan's guns. He put a new barrel, slide, andinternals on an older Eagle for me and did a tremendous job. He received the pistol on monday and I got it back on Friday, complete with a brand new matte blue-job on it.

I have talked with a lot of shooters with all the guns makers you listed.

The consensus is SV is the best bet. Every builder has at least one person that has been dissatisfied with their gun and a whole boat load of shooters satisfied with their builder.

For the most part, on the average, you can not go wrong with anyone you listed. I just believe Brandon does the best on delivery performance and after market support.

I am a very biased supporter of Infinity. After them Matt Burkett's guns. Of course those are all ex-SV folks. Sandy Strayer is an anal-rententive quality obsessive-complusive gun savant. High praise from another anal retentive quality obsessed individual.

The 2 big companies in the sport are STI and SVI. Strayer Tripp and Strayer Voigt. Strayer being part of both, they both hold the patent to the 2011 so they tend to be referred to as S_I.

Looking at your list-- SVI is Infinity. The other builders customize one or the other, or both to give you a completed gun. Once the build is done you would be hard pressed to have a hands down winner of best pistol between any of the major builders. It will come down to personal preferences.

Edited by Poppa Bear

The 2 big companies in the sport are STI and SVI. Strayer Tripp and Strayer Voigt. Strayer being part of both, they both hold the patent to the 2011 so they tend to be referred to as S_I.

Looking at your list-- SVI is Infinity. The other builders customize one or the other, or both to give you a completed gun. Once the build is done you would be hard pressed to have a hands down winner of best pistol between any of the major builders. It will come down to personal preferences.

Your explanation was very helpful, Thank You!

Note for your consideration if you are considering SV: They're running at least a 13-14 month wait.

I have a year old SV Limited gun and will soon take delivery of a Single Stack gun from them. The Limited gun was 13 months and the SS should be right at about 14 months.

The Limited gun is (to me) an exceptional firearm. Coming from a history of franken guns, it is an absolute joy to shoot. Also, as mentioned, Brandon Strayer (son of Sandy) provides excellent service before and after purchase.

Note for your consideration if you are considering SV: They're running at least a 13-14 month wait.

I have a year old SV Limited gun and will soon take delivery of a Single Stack gun from them. The Limited gun was 13 months and the SS should be right at about 14 months.

The Limited gun is (to me) an exceptional firearm. Coming from a history of franken guns, it is an absolute joy to shoot. Also, as mentioned, Brandon Strayer (son of Sandy) provides excellent service before and after purchase.

Lumpygravy, do you ever shoot out at Richmond? I would love to take a look at your Limited gun.

It depends on what you want with the gun. The difference in infinity and the others is infinity will use only their parts on the gun. You want something else that is not their part tough luck so in my mind they are not a true custom I know freedom and the other places have their preferred parts they like to use but if you want something else its your gun and they build it how you want it.

get a bushing barrel flat top eagle from Brazos, Dawson or Shooters connection add a mag funnel. Nothing you can do with a full custom you cant do with that gun. All the bells and whistles are nice but for a mid level shooter none of them will translate into better scores.

Let me start by saying I know Jack and Sh%t about 2011 style guns. I'm a Glock and XDM C class shooter. I'm ready to make the move to limited with a 2011.

You dont need a 2011 to be competitive in limited, but if you have a pocket full of money and feel a short light trigger will make you a better shooter then go for it. I had the same thoughts until I shot a match at A class level and got my ass kicked by an out of town revolver shooter. That will wake you up, thousands spent will never make up for skill.

Lumpygravy, do you ever shoot out at Richmond? I would love to take a look at your Limited gun.

I call Richmond my home range and I will be shooting the Saturday practice and the match on Sunday this weekend.

I'm currently shooting single stack, but if you can make it out either day, I'll bring the limited gun and you're welcome to shoot it. Look for the old guy with the hot pink base pads.

ETA: Sent you a PM too.

Edited by lumpygravy

I call Richmond my home range and I will be shooting the Saturday practice and the match on Sunday this weekend.

I'm currently shooting single stack, but if you can make it out either day, I'll bring the limited gun and you're welcome to shoot it. Look for the old guy with the hot pink base pads.

ETA: Sent you a PM too.

Hey Jon,

I'll see you Saturday at Richmond. PM'd you as well. Thanks!

You have Limcat on your list, I have one of Johnny's Flashcat Open guns. You will not find any better service from anybody on your list as you will from Limcat.

Jax, I am going to seriously take a look at Limcat as well. I guess Johnny shoots at several of our local matches. I know that the squads are always loaded with Limcats, so I will try to track him down. Thanks!