Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First DQ, Pistol on the ground

Mbauer67

Well I have been shooting pistol and 3-gun for a couple years and it finally happened to me. It was a stage where you start with the rifle and a quick 50 foot sprint I dumped the rifle and went to draw my pistol and it was missing. I turned around and there it was about 20 feet back looking right at me from the ground.

The bad part is that the RO on the stage asked me what I was waiting for when I turned around, then he finally looked and saw my gun on the ground. It took him a little while to process.

The entire squad was watching and everyone said it just jumped out of my holster, and I use a kydex blade tek, needless to say, I tightened the hell out of the retaining screws that instant.

At least I got to shoot the whole match except one stage, after a couple cocktails and dinner at Famous Dave's I felt better.

I replaced one of the screws with a knob so I can set retention stage by stage. Part of my "pre-flight checklist" so to speak. Sometimes changing weather conditions can make a noticeable difference. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

This exact thing happened to me. My Shadow seemed to walk its way up and out of my bladetech holster. Needless to say I guess we tested the drop safety lol. Mine was also on the last stage of the day. My gun was FULL of Texas red dirt and that stuff will get anywhere.

At our local 3G match, one of the ROs told me that my Safariland 013 wasn't secure enough. I waved him over to a safe area, took off my belt with the gun in the holster and shook it vigorously upside down... Then I pointed at his Kydex bucket and said "now lets see how yours does". He declined and decided that my holster wasn't a problem :)

At our local 3G match, one of the ROs told me that my Safariland 013 wasn't secure enough. I waved him over to a safe area, took off my belt with the gun in the holster and shook it vigorously upside down... Then I pointed at his Kydex bucket and said "now lets see how yours does". He declined and decided that my holster wasn't a problem :)

I think that this is my new test for any 3-gun gear.

I have always had that same impression , but you can bet I am going to checking out some different holsters in the future

I have always had that same impression , but you can bet I am going to checking out some different holsters in the future

After I signed up for the Ironman last year, the fear of my pistol escaping my holster got intense. I bought a level 2 retention holster and the fear went away. Blade Tech Thumb Drive. http://shop.blade-tech.com/index.php?cPath=1_4_37 I like it a lot.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm sure the "knob" is similar to what I've seen. I've seen the screw replaced with a wing nut, so that if they needed, they could loosen or tighten the retention without tools and on the fly. Only downside I see that could come from a wing nut is the possibility of it catching or something.

• 2 weeks later...

I made my own knobs. Purchased from the hardware store: threaded straight stock (same size and thread as retention screws), small washer, threaded knob. Measure and cut stock, loc-tite into the knob. Kydex is soft and scratches easily so use a washer under the knob.