Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Square Deal B - Seating CCI Primers

Jackruger

I am new to reloading. I plan to load only two handgun calibers (38 special & 9mm), and no rifle cartiridges. Estimated volume will be 500-750 rounds/monthly. Based on only loading two handgun calibers and a modest volume of ammo, I am looking at the Square Deal B press.

At the present time, the only small pistol primers I can locate are CCI. I have heard the CCI primers are harder than other primers, and more difficult to seat. Does the SDB have enough leverage to seat the CCI primers? Will the strong mount help with leverage?

Thanks for your input!

Welcome to the forum!

Usually when primers are referred to as being hard they're referring to the primer itself, not that they're necessarily more difficult to seat.

That's why you've probably read suggestions that some primers require a stronger firing pin strike than others.

As long as the brass you're using isn't crimped you shouldn't have any problem seating CCI primers with a SDB press.

Tom

I appreciate the input. I was concerned that the SDB might not have enough leverage to seat the CCI.

I, like several have mentioned, have loaded thousands of rounds using the CCI/SDB combo with out a single issue. Specifically, I load .38sc. I use small rifle primers of both varieties (Winchester and CCI), but over the past couple years I have used CCI exclusively as I got a good deal on 20k primers. I have not had any leverage issues.

Based on only loading two handgun calibers and a modest volume of ammo, I am looking at the Square Deal B press.

I would also just like to add... the SDB is an awesome machine. Seriously. I was my first progressive after a Lee turret press and I simply never went back. I bought the SDB for the exact reasons you specified and have never, ever reconsidered my purchase. Even the "pistol only" constraint has caused me not a moment of hesitation.

Additionally, be careful about saying, "a modest volume of ammo". If you get your processes dialed in and everything staged correctly, that SDB will blow your mind.

Of course this is just IMHO, but I would bet most on here would agree... it is a great machine at a nice price point.

I am also new to reloading and I have crushed and seated some upside down and sideways. I asked an RSO what to do with these bad shells. His answer is to put some oil on each one to make the primer inert. So I I have a plastic rack from some factory rounds, i put the empty shell in spray with a little oil, let them sit overnight, (He said an hour I am playing it safe). Then I clean them off and put them in the tumbler. The primer is now safe for decapping without the worry of it going off.

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all.

PTVolkmar