Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Rangemaster frame

Rye

I have been thinking of doing that for a while now. I've got a trick slide S&W Wheelnut on here did for me. I like the idea of cutting the cover to match the sick front serrations he added to my slide.

Glad I'm not the only one thinking of this!

Here's mine:

http://www.calhouncustomfirearms.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/IMG_0539.jpg

It's actually a Fusion frame, if that matters. It's cut back enough to be SS legal and makes weight easily.

Great looking gun. How about some details?

Thanks. Here are some specs:

It's a .40 built by Tim Calhoun based on my design (the rear serrations are "AH" - my initials). It's an awesome build and it runs 100%. I now have custom shaped grip panels on it covered with skateboard tape to mimic the feel of my limited gun (also built by Tim, in my avatar). Fusion frame (STI was out of stock). Slide and barrel are STI. I think the safeties are Ed Brown. It's a Caspian trigger I had lying around. I like the flat face and it goes well with the rear slide cuts. The maxwell is a Dawson no gap with aluminum msh, which helps keep the weight to just a hair over 42oz with a Tripp system mag.

They are both nice looking guns. I was wondering if you guys used a classic slide on these build?

Mine was a unique slide. The DC is longer than the point where the cut starts on a classic slide, so a classic slide would look wrong. As you can see in the pic, other than the serrations we left the square profile alone. We wanted a unique look so since this shoots great and makes weight we went with it.

Here's mine:

http://www.calhouncustomfirearms.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/IMG_0539.jpg

It's actually a Fusion frame, if that matters. It's cut back enough to be SS legal and makes weight easily.

Great looking gun. How about some details?

Thanks. Here are some specs:

It's a .40 built by Tim Calhoun based on my design (the rear serrations are "AH" - my initials). It's an awesome build and it runs 100%. I now have custom shaped grip panels on it covered with skateboard tape to mimic the feel of my limited gun (also built by Tim, in my avatar). Fusion frame (STI was out of stock). Slide and barrel are STI. I think the safeties are Ed Brown. It's a Caspian trigger I had lying around. I like the flat face and it goes well with the rear slide cuts. The maxwell is a Dawson no gap with aluminum msh, which helps keep the weight to just a hair over 42oz with a Tripp system mag.

Thanks for info, I wondered what the initials were for. Interested in pics of your grips that simulate your limited build, I assume it's a 2011. I just got through making a couple of pairs of grips that give me the same or close to the same feel of a 2011. To me the 2011 grip is more comfortable and seems to give me a little more leverage.

Sorry this took so long. Here are pics of the grips as requested. I took these without the magwell so you can see the contour. I hand planed these to this shape from 1/4 poplar stock. The 2011 grips aren't any wider than 1911 grips - just more square. It takes a little practice to get the shape right, and the skateboard tape hides a lot of little flaws. These feel very similar to my limited gun grip (STI, also skateboard tape). As an added bonus, they are very light and help this gun make weight easily, even with the beefier Rangemaster frame.

IMG_0837.jpg

IMG_0838.jpg