Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm open load starting point

PWSLMT

New to the forum, new to wanting to shoot open. I just ordered a Dillon 550b kit from Brian to load 9mm open ammo. I have been searching past posts and I am alittle unsure where to start with a open load. I am building a S&W Pro Core with a 5 inch Stormlake threaded barrel, a Carver 3 port comp, with a c-more sight. From what I have read here on past posts there are several suggested powders, looks like zero jhp 124 gr for bullets or montana gold , small rifle primer, not sure which brand of case would be better to use, overall case lenght 1.16? I know I need a Chrono any good suggestions? I am just looking for a good starting point that will that I can get started with so I am at least in the right direction. Thanks

Search. But since I stopped by. Powders Silhouette, HS6, AutoComp, TrueBlue, AA#7, 3N38. You may have difficulty finding them. Small Pistol Primers, Small Pistol Magnum, and Small Rifle will work.

OAL Long as you can get it. Mine are 1.165 with MTG 124gr JHP. Lots use 115gr again it may be what you can find.

Make sure you check all brass with a magnet, if it sticks ditch it. Do not use Magnum primers with minor loads.

Big boy dangerous 9 major loads. What I use all the time 7.0gr AutoComp, 8.3gr HS6, 10Gr AA#7, 7.7gr of Silhouette. these are all with 124gr JHP MTG. Back down half a grain and work up. All 9 major loads are beyond any recommendation of the powder mfg. It is safest to use once fired brass shoot it once let it go.

Edited by CocoBolo

I am building a S&W Pro Core with a 5 inch Stormlake threaded overall case lenght 1.16?

Edited: Coco got his post in while I was typing> :bow:

If you were building an STI, I'd suggest you start with 6.7 - 7.0 gr WAC at 1.16".

I'm not familiar with a S&W ProCore - not sure it will be safe to shoot 9mm major??

I'd start out real low and work up very slowly, with a chrono, watching for pressure

signs.

Maybe someone here has played with a S&WPC - they can save you some time by

sharing their experiences.

You'd have to determine the max OAL for your gun/chamber - I've read that Glocks

, eg.

won't allow for a 1.16" OAL - they settle on 1.135" or so.

You're absolutely right re: the chrono.

Good luck - welcome to OPEN. :cheers:

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

I shoot a S&W 9L with a Storm Lake threaded barrel and 4 port Carver comp. I needed to increase the leade a little to load some bullets to 1.60". I use 6.7 grains of Autocomp or 7.8 grains of HS6 with power factors of about 170. I've used WSP or Fed small pistol Magnum primers and haven't chronoed much difference between the two primers.

Search. But since I stopped by. Powders Silhouette, HS6, AutoComp, TrueBlue, AA#7, 3N38. You may have difficulty finding them. Small Pistol Primers, Small Pistol Magnum, and Small Rifle will work.

OAL Long as you can get it. Mine are 1.165 with MTG 124gr JHP. Lots use 115gr again it may be what you can find.

Make sure you check all brass with a magnet, if it sticks ditch it. Do not use Magnum primers with minor loads.

Big boy dangerous 9 major loads. What I use all the time 7.0gr AutoComp, 8.3gr HS6, 10Gr AA#7, 7.7gr of Silhouette. these are all with 124gr JHP MTG. Back down half a grain and work up. All 9 major loads are beyond any recommendation of the powder mfg. It is safest to use once fired brass shoot it once let it go.

Hey Cocobolo, coal for 9mm major is 1.165??? Thanks in advance, David