Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When targets are arrayed vertically?

August

Just finished a match where there were a lot of target sets that required vertical movement of guns during stage. This proved to be much more challenging than sweeping a horizontal array of target.

When engaging horizontal displays, movement is (as much as possible) from the hips and legs. This permits keeping the shoulders/arms in a constant position during employment of the pistol.

When engaging vertical displays, however, the movement of the gun seems like it has to come from higher up in the body.

I'm trying to figure out where I should attain the displacement when vertical movement is required. Can you offer some help to me?

Thanks. (hope this question is clear)

Personally, I don't find that engaging a vertical array of targets is more challenging than if the array was horizontal. On a vertical array, I begin by engaging the lowest of the targets and, after the first shot, relax my grip just enough to allow the recoil to "climb" the gun up to the higher target.

Whether you are moving the gun horizontally or vertically - nothing should move from the waist up.

I can still remember, over 30 years ago, Ross Seyfried physically demonstrating that for me. By putting his arms in his Index Position, and pivoting to the left and right, and up and down.

be

• 3 months later...

Nothing should move from the waist up, and all movement initiates from your feet (touching the ground). To verify that, get into position and then pivot, while keeping all your attention in your feet.

be

I can't seem to get any significant vertical movement by pivoting my lower body (without leaning back). How does that work when the array is higher/lower than you can stretch/crouch?

I can't seem to get any significant vertical movement by pivoting my lower body (without leaning back). How does that work when the array is higher/lower than you can stretch/crouch?

Unless you have really high berms in your bays, the upper targets shouldn't be any higher than ~5' at the shoulder (just picked typical classifier height). Otherwise shorter shooters could launch a round over the berm.

So from your normal, straight ahead shooting position, you are pivoting (at the waist) down to the lower target, then back up to the higher one.

The only problem I have with pivoting at the waist is when low targets are placed behind a low wall. I'm not exactly tall, so I don't always have the clearance to pivot my entire upper body down over the wall.