Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mounting gas pedals on 2011s

prebancolt

I finally decided yesterday that I was ready to drill and tap some frames to mount gas pedals on since they are now legal in limited. My only concern was how hard the frames were going to be. Turns out that they were fairly soft and very easy to drill and tap. I have a mill, so I knew the job shouldn't be that bad. By the time my brother and I talked for a few minutes and including setup, we had three frames done in about an hour. We initially did an STI Eagle 5.0 just for practice, then moved on to my SVI and my brother's SVI. My buddy came over later that night, and we did his brand new Edge.

We mounted a GOGUN racer to my SVI and a GOGUN racer duster to the STI Edge, but we decided to fabricate (read copy) two more gas pedals to mount on the other SVI and Eagle. Not bad for a morning's work.

2013-02-22_10-15-40_262.jpg

2013-02-22_10-15-54_894.jpg

2013-02-23_19-31-18_230.jpg

Yea, seems like it took longer to cut the four screws to the correct length than it did to drill and tap the four holes.

I was surprised at how easy it was, but I was BLOWN AWAY at the difference it made in the muzzle rise. We video taped the before and after, and the muzzle rise seems like it is half. Before, I was waiting for the front sight to settle back on target. After, I was waiting the pull the trigger while my front sight was sitting clearly on target. It was a big change. I would highly recommend this upgrade. You just have to get used to a new grip.

• 3 months later...

How did you finish up the copies? I was looking at doing that.

I Finished One Using Black Gunkote.

It May Seem Like The Gas Pedals Are Mounted Way Back, But You Really Need To Feel A Gun With One On It, Then Shoot It. You Wont Want To Go Back. Imagine Sitting In A Recliner With Your Legs Unsupported In The Air. Now Put A Stool Under Them. That's How I Feel Now After Shooting With The *thumb rest [generic]*. In Addition To Supporting Your Left thumb And Providing Recoil Management, The Pedal Also Makes The Gun Easier To Steer Or Control Left To Right. You Always Think That Your Gun Is Solid Left To Right Until You Try The *thumb rest [generic]* And You Realize You Have Even More Control. I Really Cant Say Enough About It. It's Working Great For Me And Everyone Else I Personally Shoot With Who Has it.

He must be posting from his phone. Mine does that too. Is the actual rest part of it just tapped and bolted on? Think I could get a pic of it? Also, on the back side of the flat panel, do you have to have machine out a section to clear the slide? I'm fairly sure that's how it works.

I left the pedal on the STI Eagle unfinished after bead blasting it. The rest part is just bolted on and the back is relieved just a bit to clearance the slide. I decided to try it that way since it was quicker to make with the parts I had in the shop. If I have problems with it not holding up, I'll just make it out of solid stock. So far, though, the rest has been rock solid and I think it's gonna be ok. I'll try to take some more pics if you want, but it might be a little while, I'm working a lot.

I posted this from my computer so I wouldn't kill any more kittens since my Smartphone decided to start capitalizing every word when posting on this site. I personally didn't mind since I hate cats, but some people get offended easily.

That was the first thing I thought. It looks like you would have to have your weak hand thumb flagged straight up. I am fascinated with the thumbrest but shooting an XDm I think I will have to wait.

For the XDM, look at the Speed Ledge. It's a *thumb rest [generic]* that will attach to the picatinny rail...

I took mine to my smith and in 15 min, done. One of the best additions I have made or have had made to my limited gun.

The very worse case, plug the holes and get it refinished. I would look around just about any local USPSA match. If you see one ask to hold it, then ask nicely to shoot it. If anyone would like to shoot mine I have no trouble with it, except I'm a lefty. Good luck!!

• 2 weeks later...

As far as mounting one on an XDm I tried the speed ledge but found the actual rest part to be way too small. I ended up cutting it off and attached one of the Bobby Carver Rests to it instead. Here's a screen cap from one of my videos where you can see how it looks. Function wise I gotta admit it makes a noticeable difference.

post-33062-0-59853700-1372091985_thumb.j

Edited by spence1300

As far as mounting one on an XDm I tried the speed ledge but found the actual rest part to be way too small. I ended up cutting it off and attached one of the Bobby Carver Rests to it instead. Here's a screen cap from one of my videos where you can see how it looks. Function wise I gotta admit it makes a noticeable difference.

attachicon.gifxdm thumb rest.jpg

pretty awesome. I'm guessing you aren't running a DAA racer or racemaster. Thats the dilemma with the speed ledge.