Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lead bullets in polygonal bore Gold Team

maxposner

With the rush for all things firearms, bullets have become unobtanium, has anyone used cast bullets in the polygonal bore 38 supers? If so, do you have any suggestions, as far as leading or over pressure. Any favorite bullet molds or cast bullets? I would appreciate any input, the loads would be for practice, and I've had lots of experience of cleaning out the compensator, Any input would be appreciated.

Adam B, did you experience alot of leading in the bore, did you use a store bought bullet or did you cast your own? What load? I was thinking a lower velocity load, for plinking/practice. I found some Berrys plated bullets, has anyone ever used them and what load. For this work I don't need to make major, I just need to make the gun work. Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'll try some of the plated bullets, the pistol comes new with a single port barrel and a V12 barrel. I'll fool around with velocities, and pressures, and if the results don't give me what I want, I'll just use them in a 9mm. Thanks guys, I appreciate your input.

I'll try some of the plated bullets, the pistol comes new with a single port barrel and a V12 barrel. I'll fool around with velocities, and pressures, and if the results don't give me what I want, I'll just use them in a 9mm. Thanks guys, I appreciate your input.

If you use a quality plated bullet (Xtreme, PowerBond) you should be ok. I've personally ran 9mm bullets to 1400 and 10mm to 1350 in my Tanfoglios using Xtremes.

However I' haven't had very good luck with Berry's. They are too soft and when you start pushing them they don't do so well.

I've heard of others pushing the Raineers pretty hard, but I don't have any first hand experience.

Edited by Nealio

I've shot 9mm Xtremes in 100, 115, and 124gr weights. They all have been extremely accurate out of my poly rifled limited and I haven't had any issues with the jacket.

Check your PM's. :)

Edited by Nealio

• 2 weeks later...

Nealio has graciously provided me with bullets, they are loaded to several different specs. I even loaded a few lead bullets, if I don't drink too much on the Friday night pub crawl, I'll make it to the range on Saturday. Try to chrono what I have and we'll take it from there. Thanks to all.

Nealio,

The bullets worked out great! I had one failure to feed with the flat point powerbond's, but the gun isn't broken in yet, and I didn't shoot that many due to heavy snow. I just hate to loose new brass! I did push them to 1400fps and everything was fine and as one would expect out of a V12, recoil seemed no existant. I was shooting a Colt officers ACP before so that might be why I didn't notice the recoil. Thanks again, to one and all. By the way, I loaded them using the EGW small based sizing die and Lyman 9mm seater and crimp die, Dillon is way behind due to the current situation and I couldn't wait any longer. I may cancel the 38 super dies, I don't think I am going to need them.