Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I built a receiver hitch for my bench....Well sorta..

After kicking the idea around for a while, I decided to give this a go. I ran the idea past Dan at Inlinefabrication.com, to see if he might be interested. I sent him a detailed email explaining the idea. He acknowledged the email, but was apparently to busy with other projects. (or maybe he didn't see the value...)

Anyway, I was in the Portland Oregon area during Christmas, so I had a old friend hook me up with a Laser cutter to make a few of these 3/8 inch thick plates.

5B9C6CC2_zpsb147ca85.jpg

I choose to drill all the holes, so this picture is pretty much just the blank. I then inlayed the plate into the top of my Sam's Club bench.

I then welded a small piece of receiver material onto the bottom of the plate to create the receiver.

AB7D3105_zpse2da73ef.jpg

Here you can see the receiver and a small draw bar extending from the bottom of the bench.

I ordered up a Strong Mount from Dan at InLineFabrication.com for the Dillon 650. This is a very nicely constructed mount, and I was sure I couldn't build one myself for the money. Laser cut, and very nicely finished powder coating. And best of all 3/16 inch material....Very Nice.

124BEE5D_zps6b25aa98.jpg

I fabricated some shouldered 1/4 inch SS bolts with 3/8 inch pins about 1 1/2 inch long to index the strong mount into the plate. I then fabricated a clamping bridge to index into the bench receiver. The clamp is self limiting so it can't be over tightened. A single 1/2 inch bolt draws down into the draw bar and some small fuel line protects the finish on the strong mount.

Below are the indexing pins. Along with some counter sunk SS Bolts to fasten the plate to the bench.

4D8F5F3B_zpsfe1d2b0b.jpg

The tygon tube of course is the spent primer tube. It exits the press and enters a bent stainless steel tube that slips through the plate in the back. It then continues to a one litre nalgene bottle under the bench.E9D3E39C_zps8c1f3df1.jpg

Next you can see some holes drilled in the front of the plate. The two on the left are storage spots for the tool head pins. The other three are for the shell plate index pins. This makes it nice, and I never have to wonder where the hell they went.

5F560B6B_zps88b50cd9.jpg

In the above picture, you can also see a couple additional 3/8 inch holes. These are for future fixtures, so the foot print doesn't have to be as large as the 650's.

Continued in the next post.

Edited by WideOpenThrottle

Here is the plate with the Strong mount resting in place.

79DE6714_zpsd779448e.jpg

Below is the finished product. If you look close in some of the pictures, you will notice a grid of counter sunk bolt holes with bolts in them. These are also for any future additions, or fixtures that I may want to add to the bench.

81A5A6B5_zps8229502c.jpg

I also added the Hornady Bullet feeder and mount. I'm not sure if I will keep this mount. I hadn't welded for a while, so my "skills" were not all that great. Luckly, my grinding skills have not deminished!

I bent a 3/4 inch piece of .120 DOM on my trusty old JD2 Bender, and it makes a nice place for the left hand to brace against.

I think I will add some overhead power for the feeders, with some under bench switches to control them. The Hornady is a loud sob.

So, after 15 years of sitting in an action packer, the Old Dillon 650 has been upgraded to most all of the features of the newer press. (Thanks for the parts Dillon!) The 18 year old press is up and running like a brand new machine.

Next I will build a receiver fixture for the Super Swage, and maybe a small vise.

The idea behind this, was having as much usable bench space as possible. I can remove the press from the bench in under one minute. And set it in a storage cradle. I also had 2 other plates made for other locations, so I can have muliple location options.

When removed, the bench is free of this very large foot print of a press, so it can be used for other things.

All in all, I'm really happy with the outcome so far. I still need to finish some of the parts. I may have some of them power coated.

Next I will continue with the reloading room in my shop. The weather has kind of slowed progress. But, it is getting there. I still have hundreds of ideas that are keeping me awake at night!

All comments are welcome.

Thanks,

BRC

Very impressive WOT! Quite inventive as well.

I am wondering, were you able to get the receiver to really tighten up? I am thinking of my triailer hitch receiver and the wobble it has. Just wondering if the machine rocks up and down a little bit?

It sure is slick. And clean.

I like your empty primer bottle set up too. That holder is clean too.

Very impressive WOT! Quite inventive as well.

I am wondering, were you able to get the receiver to really tighten up? I am thinking of my triailer hitch receiver and the wobble it has. Just wondering if the machine rocks up and down a little bit?

It sure is slick. And clean.

I like your empty primer bottle set up too. That holder is clean too.

It is ROCK SOLID, the bolt in the bridge draws it tight to the bench. I will add a couple more pictures, with the press removed.

And, Thank you guys, for the comments. I'm pretty proud of the way it turned out.

BRC

Thanks guys! Here are a few more pictures.

This picture shows the draw bar. It is smaller that a normal 2 inch trailer hitch, though 2 inch hitch material would work, it is a bit heavy for this application.

D68F96B4_zps64b95e59.jpg

I think this was 1.25 square tubing, I made a cap by welding a 1/2 nut to the back of a drilled plate cut to the size of the tube opening. Then drilled a hole for the pin.

Here is another view of the draw bar, removed from the reciever.

453A5122_zps8a0a358e.jpg

Here is a picture of the Bridge clamp. A piece of Reciever material was used to "seat" or index through the square hole in the plate and rest on top of the lower bench receiver. This gives the bridge a limit stop, so I can't over tighten the bridge.

DA7A4E76_zps2d2cdb44.jpg

This is a picture of just the plate. It kind of shows the shoulder created by the reciever below the bench.

CD1F24DD_zps659a8df8.jpg

Continued in the next post.

Here is the remnant that was cut out by the laser cutter. I did absolutely nothing to the edges of these plates. They were perfect right from the cutterFCDBCB78_zpsacb55eb5.jpg

You can see in this picture where the initial hole was made and the then the computer moves the cutter into the correct position. The .22cal 77grain Match King gives you an idea on how fine the kerf is.

F53F0B4F_zpsc45b9dfb.jpg

Here is a look down into the Reciever.

516EC114_zps6b45c425.jpg

The Press setting on the floor. I haven't build a storage rack for it yet.

FB2F9D91_zps20c90e41.jpg

Continued in next post.

Here is the press setting on top of the plate, ready to be indexed.

9B16D308_zps77cf1fcc.jpg

This one is of the press fully inserted. You can see how the recievers mate.

844FBB73_zps1d44402e.jpg

This is the bottle holder I made for the Nalgene bottle.

771BA83F_zps43d2bbbc.jpg

And another one with the spent primer bottle installed.

C1BE938C_zpsd38b9b06.jpg

Thanks again for the kind words. It has been a fun project so far.

BRC

Looks very cool and very sturdy. I'm a little confused on the draw bar aspect of it - is this because you have a need to remove your 650 from your bench often? I would've thought with that nice 3/8" piece of plate you'd just drill and tap and bolt the strong mount right into it.

~Mitch

Looks very cool and very sturdy. I'm a little confused on the draw bar aspect of it - is this because you have a need to remove your 650 from your bench often? I would've thought with that nice 3/8" piece of plate you'd just drill and tap and bolt the strong mount right into it.

~Mitch

Mitch, yes the idea was to be able to remove the press from the bench without it being to much of a pain. I considered the idea of tapping the mounting holes, but felt that the draw bar idea would give me more options for mounting other tools when the press was removed. I am still entertaining the idea of a few 3/8 inch threaded holes for other fixtures. I even picked up some 3/8 inch allen set screws to use for plugs.

You are correct, and there is no reason that I can think of, that simple threaded holes would not have worked just fine. But in the end, I just remove the single bolt and the press is lifted off the bench. Then place the blank over the receiver to cover the hole .

BRC

Drill a set of holes accross the front of the plate for (T-Handle, Ball end) hex wrenches. I bought the set of dipped hex tools, wrench and holder that Dillon sells and mounted them to the front of bench. I find it more convienent then behind the machine.

Great job.

I bought the set of dipped hex tools, wrench and holder that Dillon sells and mounted them to the front of bench. I find it more convienent then behind the machine.

Great job.

I bought the Dillon set from Eno's also. I'm considering mounting it to the bridge. I clamped it there for now, to see if it will work out.

7646BE90_zps6ad26c71.jpg

Thanks for the feedback. I got a bunch of ideas from the gallery reloading bench thread as well.

I'm also playing with this LED mini stick light made by Goal Zero. It is usb, and works well with a small usb wall wart. I just need to come up with a way to mount it securely.

44880BD9_zps9714eaeb.jpg

BRC

• 4 weeks later...

Added a electrical system with power switches to the set-up. Switches control the bullet feeder and case feeder as well as a press light and under bench light.

027E909C_zps70ca7eb7.jpg

Thru port for plugs.

712F6A42_zpsf8cedc09.jpg

Under Bench view.

72460CE7_zpsf9071c3c.jpg

Another under bench view.

1FC250B1_zpsd2b3ce4d.jpg

USB Goal Zero Stick Light and Mount.

82DE1FE9_zps53f092e3.jpg

I still need to coat the metal parts, but the system works well.

BRC

Looks good.

You may want to consider installing a safety cage over the light bulb under the bench.

http://www.amazon.com/LightCage-Light-Bulb-Safety-Cage/dp/B0018Y3BOY

Thanks, and yes I agree, the light is far enough back, that I don't hit it when seated and using my rock chucker that is mounted on the right side of the bench. But I think it needs a cage anyway.

I will see if I can find a cage locally or a different fixture.

Thanks for the link!

BRC

This is an awesome setup ! gonna have to talk to the welders at the shop and see if I can come up with a setup like that. Thanks for sharing.

Fred

Thanks Fred,

I ran 600 rounds through it today with only a few hiccups. The power control switches for the feeders work great. Now I don't have to listen to the noisy Hornady bullet feeder all the time.

BRC