Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

large pistol primers in 9mm

rooster

It doesn't strike me as feasible. The case head of a 9mm Luger is 0.393" or so and the large primer diameter is 0.210" compared to the 0.175".

That would leave about 0.090" around the primer. I don't know the extractor groove diameter offhand, but sounds like things are getting really thin.

Guy

Last time there was a shortage, 2008-09, we had an Iraq/Afghanistan veteran that was making his own primers shoot with us. He'd take fired primers pull the anvil and push the dent out of the cup. Then he sandwiched a piece of cap gun cap in the cup with the anvil. He found the key to making it work was using the anvil in the cup it came out of. He had some failures, maybe 5-10% but it can be done.

I'm sure all the Prepers out there already knew that preparing for TEOTWAWKI.

May sound crazy but not as crazy as trying to use LPP in 9mm, naturally that's just my opinion. ;-)

Edited by TerryO

It doesn't strike me as feasible. The case head of a 9mm Luger is 0.393" or so and the large primer diameter is 0.210" compared to the 0.175".

That would leave about 0.090" around the primer. I don't know the extractor groove diameter offhand, but sounds like things are getting really thin.

Guy

Extractor groove is 0.346 so 0.210 leaves (0.136 / 2 ) 0.0653 per side. Sounds pretty thin to me too.