Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm for idpa, which one?

Jeremiah

To add to the above, i want to buy used and for as cheap as possible. Maybe a beretta 92? I shoot a 1911 normally, so no glocks since the grip angle is just too different. I guess no polygonal rifling either since i want to shoot lead. Whats guys using out there?

On the cheap, you can usually find a used Springfield XD (not the XDM) 5" tactical model in 9mm, I got my last one on here for less than $500 already with sights and trigger and extra mags.

If your buying new and can afford it S&W M&P Pro Series for sure. The 5" model is pretty amazing out of the box. A real value.

Edited by lee blackman

I would look for a old, pre-Firing pin block, CZ 75 and upgrade as you go. I've tuned a few of those up when I started and they slick up pretty nice!

Don't they also use the old style 15rd magazines? I have a pre-b variant CZ85 that uses the old mags, and it will not function reliably with new style 16rd mags or the aftermarket mec-gar's. The last time I saw the old mags Widener's had a batch but they've been long gone.

I would advise one of the two: Grand Power K100 or Smith & Wesson M&P.

Why? Autoforwarding.

IDPA often require you to get into slide lock.

Being able to chamber a new round automatically by slamming the magazine is a great advantage.

I would look for a old, pre-Firing pin block, CZ 75 and upgrade as you go. I've tuned a few of those up when I started and they slick up pretty nice!

Don't they also use the old style 15rd magazines? I have a pre-b variant CZ85 that uses the old mags, and it will not function reliably with new style 16rd mags or the aftermarket mec-gar's. The last time I saw the old mags Widener's had a batch but they've been long gone.

Best I can tell you is....depends. Both of the ones I had worked with the new mags. Pretty sure the old ones can be made to work with new mags also if they don't.

If your heart is not set on SSP you could still go with the XD or XDM and shoot it in ESP. However, the one advantage to sticking with SSP as you planned is that all SSP legal guns are also legal in ESP which means you could use 1 gun in 2 divisions if you so desired.

Thanks guys. Im currently looking for a 5" m&p. What, if any, aftermarket trigger parts are recommended?

A lot of guys go with the apex tactical kit for a DYI installation. I sent mine to Bowie tactical for a trigger job since I know my gunsmithing limits.

XDs are not permitted in SSP, so if you want to shoot cast lead bullets a S&W M&P might be your best bet value for the $$$. M&P mags are tough to get these days though.

And with the M&P magazines, the base pads and the metal piece under the base pads (which lock the mag springs and base pads together) are problematic. At some point recently (the last year or two), the factory changed the metal piece and the base pad designs, from a metal piece with a round protrusion which locks into a round hole in the base pad, to a square hole in the base pads and a different metal piece. The new square holed base pads sometimes crack (it happened to me) from a corner of the square opening to the edge of the base pad (engineering flaw- its called a "stress riser", I think). I ordered new base pads from MIdway and received the old base pads although they had told me before I ordered that they only stock the new design. The older design metal piece under the base pads are guess what, backordered from S&W!!!

Life is a beach, unfortunately, I love the Mid-West, lol. :sick:

Edited by jmbaccolyte

i have both a 4" and 5" MP. I do not find the extra length of the 5" that much of an advantage, especially at IDPA distances. Same with the 17/34 combo.

5" Mp's are hard to find. If you can live with and find a 4", i would run with it.

Find you a Pre-B slide and put it on a new 75SA frame. That's what we did. Then put a DA/SA trigger set in it. Run great and meets all the rules!!!

Edited by SSP M&P

I'm just starting into action shooting so I can't give you an informed opinion on a pistol from an action shooting standpoint, but I certainly can from a former law enforcement standpoint. I took a Beretta 92FS through the police academy and onto road patrol afterwards. I fired thousands upon thousands of rounds through that thing without any issues at all except for one ammo related issue (which scared me off reloaded ammo until just recently) that happend after I left law enforcement. My trusty burrito was with me through all sorts of awful Midwestern weather which included some really spectacular ice related wipe outs including one where I landed directly on the pistol.

So I have no earthly idea if a Beretta is a good choice for your action pistol needs, but I can certainly give you a positive recommendation from a reliability standpoint. It also seemed very accurate since I was one of the better shots at my academy class and in my department. Now...not so much, but I never had any complaints about it's accuracy.

• 1 month later...

Sorry but just ran across this post and seen no mention of a SIG 9mm and wondering why?..We have used a sig p229 with no problems.. More or less a wonder why question as we are new to this sport

Sigs are awesome and i used to shoot a 226 blackwater 9MM and a 229 elite 40 S&W problem i found with sigs is the first trigger pull is long and at about 6-8 Lbs where follow up (if you have the SRT ) are fast and low 3-4 LB but that first shot would usually end up right of where i wanted it to go. I bought a M&P pro 9mm Used for Idpa and love the consistent trigger pull and lower first shot and follow up shots at 2.5 LBS. but that's just me. Also i found them to be just as if not more accurate out the box than the standard SIG for half the price.

Again this is just my 2C