Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting a major match in a division you are unclassed in?

robkroupa

So I'm looking at signing up for some major matches. So far I've been shooting production but really want to make the switch to limited or limited 10. With my work schedule I don't think I'll be able to shoot enough classifiers to actually get classified in either of those. Would it be crazy to shoot a major match in a division you are unclassified in?

In production right now I'm in C class but one decent classifier should bump me up to B.

Any thoughts and/or suggestions?

Go for it. It's up to the Match Director if he wants to recognize/award Unclassified. We have at the High Desert Classic. A major match can potentially count as a classifier.

Edited by NMBOpen

I would probably stay with Production. The thing to remember, if you care about such things, is that you can't win anything if you are unclassified. I guess you could win HOA but that seems unlikely. If you stay with C Production you have a good chance of snagging something really good from the prize table.

If none of that means anything to you then by all means shoot any division you want.

Locally several clubs put on "classifier matches" where there is at least four classifier stages. As long as you do not zero out one of the stages, those four will get your initial classification in just a single match. We always hold at least one of these matches a month or so before any majors in the area to get as many new shooters classified as possible. Check with your local Section Coordinator to see if there is one coming up.

As far as shooting unclassified, it may not matter depending on the match. If you are concerned about the prize table, check with the matches you are interested in and see if prizes are given in order of match finish or possibly just by random drawing. Some matches may not include trophies or a trip to the prize table for the unclassified shooters.

Bill

I would probably stay with Production. The thing to remember, if you care about such things, is that you can't win anything if you are unclassified. I guess you could win HOA but that seems unlikely. If you stay with C Production you have a good chance of snagging something really good from the prize table.

If none of that means anything to you then by all means shoot any division you want.

You hit one of my concerns right there, I'd hate to spend the time/money to shoot a major match and not even have the (remote) chance of coming home with plaque or something.

Locally several clubs put on "classifier matches" where there is at least four classifier stages. As long as you do not zero out one of the stages, those four will get your initial classification in just a single match. We always hold at least one of these matches a month or so before any majors in the area to get as many new shooters classified as possible. Check with your local Section Coordinator to see if there is one coming up.

As far as shooting unclassified, it may not matter depending on the match. If you are concerned about the prize table, check with the matches you are interested in and see if prizes are given in order of match finish or possibly just by random drawing. Some matches may not include trophies or a trip to the prize table for the unclassified shooters.

Bill

There are several clubs around here that do classifier matches but with my new job I end up working most weekends so I'm not sure I'll be able to make things line up to make it to one.

Yep, prize tables are funny. Best I have ever won was High C in Production. Got a holster off the table. Next year won 3rd B and the table was about picked clean by the time I got there. LOL

I don't recall shooting in a match that awarded a U shooter.

And if you are as close to making B as you said that means you will be a strong contender in C class.

Just some thoughts to ponder.

Yep, prize tables are funny. Best I have ever won was High C in Production. Got a holster off the table. Next year won 3rd B and the table was about picked clean by the time I got there. LOL

I don't recall shooting in a match that awarded a U shooter.

And if you are as close to making B as you said that means you will be a strong contender in C class.

Just some thoughts to ponder.

I have strongly considered that, I'm sitting at ~59% in production...

Locally several clubs put on "classifier matches" where there is at least four classifier stages.

Some clubs will also do special classifiers. Before the nationals every year we set-up five classifiers and run them almost every day for a week. This way if people need to get classified then can do it on their schedule. Call the local clubs and ask them what they can do. Most people are happy to help you out with gettign your classification. Most of us have day jobs so we are happy to help you get your classification before a major match.

Some matches have prize tables by drawing, like Double Tap is one that comes to mind. Several majors I go to recoginize the U, however, those U's are darn good like GM's some times. I was going to the Open Nationals as a C open and the gun was broke, LTD 10 was also in the match so I went to a classifier match for LTD 10 and made B. Got the open gun back a few days before the match.

If you are shooting to win prizes, then you should not only stay in production, but you should make sure you don't get any good classifier scores that will bump you to B. Or you could just stay home from the match and buy yourself a nice prize.

If you are shooting for enjoyment and to improve yourself, then you have nothing to lose by switching to limited and getting started on being classified there.

I personally don't really pay attention to B, C or whatever. I just shoot and see how I did overall and track my improvement. Not too worried about winning the motorhome for high C disabled super-senior amputee with red hair.

You hit one of my concerns right there, I'd hate to spend the time/money to shoot a major match and not even have the (remote) chance of coming home with plaque or something.

If you stick with it long enough those plaques will mean nothing compared to the experience and memories.