Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IMR SR 7625 and OAL 38 SC

junkie

Ok so I am new 38SC and am trying 7625 with a 7.0 gr load behind a 124 gr MG. I was trying to load to 1.250 but can only shove the bullet in so far and the OAL comes out at 1.255. Seems like I am compressing the load.

My concern is compressing a load possible at 7 gr of 7625.? As I don't have the gun yet I really can't shoot the loads I make I am just getting things ready.

I am going to load some 4756 and Autocomp loads as well.

In searching the forum I did not see a post that mentioned this subject.

IMHO 7625 is a little fast burning to work your comp efficiently. I like 9.0 gr of 4756, 121gr MG IFP, OAL 1.234", Fed SPM primers, Starline SC or TJ brass. This is a slightly compressed load but no over pressure issues. In my guns that produces around 178 PF. I have run 124 gr Zero JHP just pull the charge down by a tenth grain.

Never used Autocomp but have used VV 3N38 which was good but left a little cornmeal type stuff in the gun. No big deal but I found 4756 to be as good or better at a fraction of the cost of 3N38. Some RO's complained about the noise with the VV.

Don't load more than just a test batch until you can chrono in your gun. I haven't met anyone who enjoys pulling bullets.

Edited by TerryO

I've used 4756 with 124 grain bullets and like it and it is a slightly compressed load. Predictable dot movement, works comp well, accurate enough, not very dirty, etc. Definitely worth trying to see if you like it. My load in my guns (5" barrel with comp only, and 5.5" Schuemann with three ports and comp) - 4756 at 8.5-8.6gr , 124gr MG JHP OAL 1.235", PF around 168

However, when I've used 4756 with 115 grainers it just takes a lot of powder in the case and I don't like compressing the load that much, not to mention that it is a bit of a pain to load as the case is so full. I know others are using it with 115 grain bullets, so YMMV.

Probably not, but you need to get your gun and try some small batches to verify. Also, as TerryO said you should do some chrono work before you load a truck load of bullets. Hard to wait I know, but you need to tailor your loads for your gun and you need your gun to do that.

I load JHPs a little shorter than Round Nose bullets for the reasons delineated here under the section titled "Diagonal Length": http://38super.net/Pages/Overall%20Length.html

General lengths for me running .38 super in caspian or tanfo mags. 1.235 for MG 124/115 JHPs, 1.250 for MG 124/115 FMJs.

When I ran .38 super in single stack 1.260 - 1.280 was the norm, depending on the bullet.

I will only load about 25 of each starting at 7 gr up to 8 gr in .2 increments. Trying to cut down on the testing phase and get to the shooting stage as the season is up and going for us. I really don't want to re-invent the wheel, I would like to use this forum to get me halfway there as I am behind the power curve a bit.

I will try the same with the other powders as well.

• 4 weeks later...

I will only load about 25 of each starting at 7 gr up to 8 gr in .2 increments. Trying to cut down on the testing phase and get to the shooting stage as the season is up and going for us. I really don't want to re-invent the wheel, I would like to use this forum to get me halfway there as I am behind the power curve a bit.

I will try the same with the other powders as well.

The only way to know if length is too long, is to do the "plunk" test with your bbl. The next thing is your mags, if they are too long, and "scrub" you will have jams. All STI/SVI mags are NOT exactly the same inside dimessions, so you need to try them in ALL of your mags. I found out during an IDPA classifier that a couple of my factory, STI mags would "scrub" with factory ammo! :angry2:

• 2 months later...