Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Snowblower recommendations

My craftsman is a price of junk and I have to upgrade. I have a driveway that can hold 8 large vehicles and live on a busy street where the snow gets plowed into the end of the drive. So I need a two stage blower. After a little research, I think I'm going for an Ariens Compact ST24LE (24") 205cc.

Anybody have any other suggestions or experience with the Ariens?

Ariens is a good brand. A few more weeks and the snow season is over. You can probably do a little talking and get the price down.

Honda is the top of the line and the most expensive if you are interested.

Once I figured out how not to break shear bolts, a 29 inch Craftsman served me well for doing 85 yards of alley with very uneven pavement for 4 years. After I moved I sold it to a neighbor, who had it tuned once and still uses it -- that blower's about ten years old now.....

Then again, I kept my 12 year old single stage Craftsman -- I did the same alley with it for the first two years; and now it's plenty to dig out my six car driveway. I've got to lunge back and forth a little to clear the mouth of the driveway, after the plows come through, but it's doable. I think that one cost me $299 back in the day....

My father works for a local city for maintenance on a golf course, and they almost exclusively use Toro for all of their equipment. He bought a Toro 724 two years ago and it's absolutely fantastic. If you have heavy snow or lots of ice, don't go cheap on a good snowblower, believe me, it makes a HUGE difference. The driveway can fit 10-12 cars, all concrete, takes about 15-20 minutes to clear the whole thing. Toro makes quality products and they use B&S engines.

http://www.torodeale...ome Page Banner

They have larger blowers and 4-cycle as well.

Edited by polizei1

I have had good luck with Honda. The seem to have more power than a comparable size other brand and start easily. I don't know how big they make I moved to Alabama and just moved back up north and we have had mild enough winter so far this year i have not bought one i will wait until spring and pick up a clearance.

Once I figured out how not to break shear bolts, a 29 inch Craftsman served me well for doing 85 yards of alley with very uneven pavement for 4 years. After I moved I sold it to a neighbor, who had it tuned once and still uses it -- that blower's about ten years old now.....

Then again, I kept my 12 year old single stage Craftsman -- I did the same alley with it for the first two years; and now it's plenty to dig out my six car driveway. I've got to lunge back and forth a little to clear the mouth of the driveway, after the plows come through, but it's doable. I think that one cost me $299 back in the day....

My craftsman isn't really even a craftsman(or a snowblower at this point). It was made in china-or somewhere-and the same machine is branded by about 20 other companies including MTD. The housing for the transmission is-was-plastic and the worm gears were made of brass and ate themselves. I knew I was in for a treat when I drained it and the lube resembled gold paint. It was a low end blower that I bought before I learned to buy once and cry once. It was a little ridiculous to live in Iowa and have sunglasses-Rudy's-that cost more than my snowblower.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I went with the Ariens since the two stage Toros that were in stock would have been ludicrously overkill for my application. I love the fact that the only plastic on the thing is the gas and oil cap.