Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What .40 ammo do you use for competition?

GregSmith

Hey all!

I see lots of talk about what .223 or .308 ammo people are trying out on their guns to get them dialed-in...but I don't see much on pistol rounds. I've always used the cheapest stuff I could find (Usually Blazer 180gr.) because until recently, I was just a simple plinker at the range. But I want to step it up and get into 3-Gun matches.

What ammo is everyone using for competition? I don't care if it's USPSA, IDPA or 3-Gun. I'm assuming finding a good ammo that works well in my gun (Glock 22) is key...but If you could throw out some ideas on where to start. That would be great!

Do I go lower grain for less recoil? What things should I be considering?

Let's start with factory ammo... Re-loading is a whole other animal.

Thanks!

G

Most folks who are shooting a fair amount of USPSA/IDPA/3-gun are probably reloading as ammo costs can get pretty expensive very quickly if you're only shooting factory ammo. Most of the folks shooting factory ammo are probably either beginners or rich.

The exception might be those ordering commercially reloaded ammo, often for particular matches they are traveling to (airlines limit amount of ammo that can be taken). Such commercial reloaders include DC Ammo (Doug Carden, who is on the forum) and Atlanta Arms.

You do not say major or minor power factor. Assuming you are not reloading and want major PF ammo I suggest Atlanta Arms, DC or Precision Delta. All three are very supporting of the shooting sports, you see major competitors using all 3 brands and from what I have seen all 3 have great quality control and consistency. I have seen some pretty scary stuff from some other ammo makers and even the big commercial boys. I know a guy who has had 2 squibs and 1 shell with no powder from factory new load ammo in the past 2 months. Seems that in the rush to sell ammo some corners might be getting trimmed. Of course right now it comes down to what you can get your hands on.

I don't have time or space to reload so its factory for me. I shoot 40 and 45. Whatever is cheapest. I prefer S & B for 40. I've never had a problem and it makes 173 pf out of my CZ TS. I've also used Rem, Win, Fed with success. I find the 165 gr to be "snappier" and 180 to be more of a "push" during the recoil impulse. Its a preference thing. I've just purchased a couple of thousand AA&A in 40. I've heard great things and their prices are fair. For 45, I've used 230 gr FMJ from Fed, Win or Rem. They all make major-plus pf :0) My shooting buddies laugh at how far my Les Baer tosses the brass. I'll probably try the AA&A which they say makes 170 pf.

Haven't ever used factory ammo for USPSA but I shoot with some Gus that use Atlanta Arms stuff when they can't reload. I shoot 40minor out of a glock 22 and use either 3.1 of clays under a 180 JHP at 1.135 or 3.6 of clays under a 155 poly coated 155 SWC at 1.135

• 2 months later...

Freedom Munitions is also a great source for commercially reloaded ammo. They are a supporter of the sport and I have had good luck with their .40 cal 180 grain ammo. Chronos at about 172 pf out of a Glock 35.

Edited by deacon12224