Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon XL 650 Problem

Hi! The tech. support people at Dillon seem to be too busy to answer emails or answer the phone and they didn't call back with an answer like the said they would so I'm stuck. Hopefully, someone on this forum will have an answer for me.

I have an XL 650 for .223. On the upstroke the Case Insert Slide is hitting the Casefeed Body Bushing. This results in the Case Insert Slide coming off the track in the back and jamming and it also prevents you from completing the top strock. If you look through the press, the Case Insert Slide looks like the letter U. Looking through the press, the right side of the U is what is hitting the Casefeed Body Bushing.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't believe the camming pin is the problem but I will double check it. I did have to adjust the camming pin to get the case feed slide to actually put the case into the shell holder but the problem started after that and everything had been working just like it is suppose to.

Any other suggestions?

A picture is worth a 1000 words in this case.

I know this is an easy one but I will ask any way. Is the large A mover on the rifle side? There is a pistol and a rifle side and if you try to load Rifle with the pistol side it will seem to hit early. I don't have the part number with me currently but let me me know if this doesn't make sense and I will get back to my manual shortly.

Looking at your last photo, the right side of the U on the case insert slide is hitting the case feed body bushing not quite all the way to the top of the stroke. Hitting the bushing is what keeps you from completing the stroke. I will keep looking for a way to get my photos out here. Thanks for your help and interest.

use something like XNVIEW (freeware pic viewer) to convert and save that camera photo. You might be trying to post in some raw TIFF format and that would be insane huge file size.

Convert to JPG and save at like 80 percent quality that will shrink it. Might have to reduce size of photo some. XNVIEW can do it all.

While you are working on that I had a idea after looking at the photo that other fellow posted and then looking at my press (I dont' do rifles at all on my xl).

I'm wondering if somehow that block of aluminum the bushing screws into is out of alignment? The way you describe the situation it sounds like the bushing is canted to one

side causing blockage with the sliding block assembly.

Just wild idea but make sure nothing is causing that block to be canted. Loosen up the screws and maybe find some washer or something that isint' supposed to be there.

Myi press is a ancient 1993 model so I'm sure there is a difference.

Buzi, mine is from 93 also! I looked at the attachment of the case feed body assembly and it is pretty solid, I had my platform off last week to clean some rust off the bottom and the alignmemt is critical, dillon sent me an alignment tool to put it back on, if the two scews holding the platform came loose it may have shifted, that seems more likely to me.

There are two large allen head screws in the center of the platform, they may have come loose, there is an alignment pin dillon sends you to center it properly, it can probably done without it but tricky, I would grasp the platform and twist it back clockwise slightly to see if it shifts, there are several posts on here of those screws coming loose. All of the linkage is tight right? Thinking back to mine, I am thinking some lock tite would be a good idea on those since that alignment is so critical.