Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Florida Open

euxx

Your reloads are good, but when you do a reload on the move you allow it to take the entire distance of the move.

Reload like you know how and get the gun back up to be able to shoot coming in.

I know what you are talking about... I was under impression that my foot work is ahead of my reloads, but it seem like the opposite. :)

You placed better than me so take this for what it's worth. In some cases your plans were much different than mine (and Sevigny's- he shot in my squad!). I think stage 2 was a mistake coming all the way back for the swinger. I too struggle with getting my reloads done quickly- which slows me down. Little things like your order of engagement of steel/activators cost some time- like stage 7- you were waiting on each clam shell- you could have done small popper, activator then clam shell on each side. Dave Sevigny came in- engaged the partial on the clam shell, cleared the steel and finished on the last clam shell.

Either way you shoot very well and placed well. Congrats on a top 10!

Thanks, lugnut. Stage 2 plan was real bad, and execution even worse. Stage 7 was the first one of the day and I figured about small poppers right after I shot the stage.

From watching this again, it seem like my main struggles are shooting on the move, wide transitions, steel arrays and moving targets...

Thanks, lugnut. Stage 2 plan was real bad, and execution even worse. Stage 7 was the first one of the day and I figured about small poppers right after I shot the stage.

From watching this again, it seem like my main struggles are shooting on the move, wide transitions, steel arrays and moving targets...

Probably because those are four things we rarely see here in Ontario...

This is what I see….

Stage 1 – Why stand that far back in the shooting area. It looks like you simply created a moving delay to complete the reload. It would have been faster to start further down range almost on the 180 for the right hand targets. Engage the two on the right, then the 2 on the left, then reload as you haul ass to the far right and engage the right two targets from the edge of the shooting area then turn to the left and engage the two on the left. Then reload as you move forward to the middle shooting position. The rest of your plan was pretty good.

There are three things that wasted a good chunk of time on this stage run. First is the time it takes for you to complete the reload. You gave away about 2 - 3 seconds of stage time waiting on completing the reload before you could start shooting again. The second was shooting speed. Your on target splits on targets within 10 yards are too slow. This is probably worth about 1 second of wasted time. Third is trying to engage targets from a circumvented stance or twisted up condition. When you try to engage targets from a circumvented stance all of your recoil management gets worse and you are forced to shoot slower. Its faster to simply move your feet and shoot faster splits from a more stable platform. This will also result in better on target hits.

Stage 2 – Saving the swinger for last was a complete waste of time. It took you at least 7 seconds to run back to the start position and engage the swinger targets. Think about the Hit factor math on this for a second. The high hit factor for this stage was about a 7 hit factor stage in Production. That means that every second you should be accumulating at an average of 7 points. Alternately, every second you waste is worth 7 points. 7 seconds of wasted time = 49 points, which is almost the same hit factor penalty as 3 misses and 1 no shoot. Think about that. You could have engaged the swinger first and gotten and additional 3 misses and 1 no shoot but shoot the stage 7 seconds faster and have the same hit factor. On stages like this its best to take advantage of the opportunity to catch the swinger at a specific timing. In this case it was best to simply drop the ball, draw to the swinger and wait for it to come out on its first pass. Then engage the bottom target twice on the first pass and the top target three times on the second pass. Then leave. It does not make sense to waste any more time on the swinger after that. Any more time wasted trying to ensure hits on the swinger would be a wash from a hit factor perspective.

Stage 3 – Your target engagement order on the first string was backwards. You should have engaged the last target first then the down range two as you were moving back a step to the up range one on the right. This gets you shooting sooner and allows you to float through the shooting position as you are shooting the whole time. Coming all the way back, then ratcheting back forward wastes a lot of time. The middle portion of the stage looks good. When you get to the last shooting position your target engagement order was really strange. The best plan for engaging the targets in this last section was as followed. Right steel, Left steel, Left static, Left Swinger, Right Swinger. Doing it in this order allowed you to not wait for the left swinger and still engage it on its first pass and engage the right swinger on its second pass. This shooting order keeps you shooting the whole time without needing to wait for either swinger.

Stage 4 – I think you started on the wrong side of this stage. Starting on the right side did create a few more steps of running at the start but it made the rest of the stage flow and present the targets a lot better. Starting on the right the plan was to engage the far right target first, then the low target in the middle right then the one target between the walls down range on the right. Then move to the left on the back side of the shooting area engaging the low target in the middle then the double stack targets on the left, then the left low target in the middle. Then move forward and engage the left target and as you move to the front middle engage the two down range targets on the right. Finishing the stage in the front middle as you engage the activating steel first, a couple of the other steel as you wait for the swinger to come out then both swinger targets and finish on the remaining steel.

Stage 5 – Your stage plan was pretty solid on this one. The only way to make up time on this stage was to shoot the long distance targets quickly. A lot of people were wasting a boat load of time shooting the long distance targets with .60+ splits and still getting crappy hits. These stages are what really separate the GM’s from the rest because they can shoot the long distance stuff a lot faster and still get good hits.

Stage 6 – I am not sure your plan was right in the middle of the stage. Too many transitions left and right. I can only assume that you were doing this to try and minimize the number of reloads you needed to do. A better plan would have been to engage the first two targets then do a reload as you moved to the back left, engage those two then transition directly to the middle right two targets and engaged those third. Then reload and engage the double stack targets along with the three targets going down the left side. Reload and haul ass to the front middle position engaging the four targets to through the gap in the walls then move over to the right and finish the stage on the target just to the right of the wall. Doing the stage plan this way would allow you to shoot sooner and keep shooting through the stage more.

In the last shooting position you had to shuffle your feet around to find the last target on the left. This could have been eliminated if you took a wider stance in the shooting position.

Stage 7 – Good plan up until the final shooting position. There was no point in waiting for the clamshells to open since there was so much of the target to engage with it closed. A better plan would have been to engage the left clamshell first (Before it was activated), then the middle steel, then finish on the last clamshell before and while its opening. It was a big waste of time to engage the steel in the middle, then transition to the clamshell and have to wait for it to open. Then transition back to the middle to engage the other steel and then wait for the other clamshell to open up. You probably wasted 3 seconds on the final shooting position by trying to engage the clamshells while they were opened.

Stage 8 – Your plan was good until you got to the steel. It would have been better to reload after the second shooting position and engage the two left paper then the one paper between the walls, then transition straight to the right two paper and engaged those. Then reload and shoot the steel and reload as you move to the right and finish on the last paper through the wall. This plan would have allowed you to keep shooting most of the time while you were up front with the only pauses being the reload before the steel and the movement between shooting areas.

Stage 9 – I am a tall guy and chose to engage both the right and left “Soft Cover” targets from the platform. My main reasoning for this was that the left soft cover targets were just low enough that it made me stand too tall while engaging the targets. Standing too tall will greatly impact your ability to manage the recoil. It made more sense to engage both sets of soft cover targets from the platform then drop down and engage the remaining three targets on the left side from a single normal stance. In the final shooting position you should have stepped on the pad then engaged the right swinger first, then right static paper then transition over to the left swinger. Doing this would have put both swingers in a good timing to engage and also not force you to shoot twisted up trying to engage the far left targets. Finishing on the far left targets was a better because you could shift your stance to those targets allowing you to shoot them faster and more accurately.

Stage 10 – You stage plan was good. The only way you could have optimized it was to engage the right middle target right after you engaged the middle targets to the right of the barrels. In order to do this you would have to engage the middle targets to the right of the barrels as you were backing up so you could transition directly to the middle right target. Then haul ass to the back right final shooting position and engage the back right and front right targets from a single position. This stage was all about unleashing the lead in a hurry so slower on target splits really hurts you here.

Let me know if you have any questions.....

Stage 2 – Saving the swinger for last was a complete waste of time. It took you at least 7 seconds to run back to the start position and engage the swinger targets. Think about the Hit factor math on this for a second. The high hit factor for this stage was about a 7 hit factor stage in Production. That means that every second you should be accumulating at an average of 7 points. Alternately, every second you waste is worth 7 points. 7 seconds of wasted time = 49 points, which is almost the same hit factor penalty as 3 misses and 1 no shoot. Think about that. You could have engaged the swinger first and gotten and additional 3 misses and 1 no shoot but shoot the stage 7 seconds faster and have the same hit factor. On stages like this its best to take advantage of the opportunity to catch the swinger at a specific timing. In this case it was best to simply drop the ball, draw to the swinger and wait for it to come out on its first pass. Then engage the bottom target twice on the first pass and the top target three times on the second pass. Then leave. It does not make sense to waste any more time on the swinger after that. Any more time wasted trying to ensure hits on the swinger would be a wash from a hit factor perspective.

Thanks for spelling this out. I watched some videos of this stage and didn't think I'd be good enough to hit the swinger right away. At a local match I'd probably come back to it because I enjoy shooting the match clean. But your explanation makes sense.

your video made me wish I would've shot this match.....Heck I live 45 min from the range.... ahh well maybe next year.... I'm new to USPSA & shooting in general, so I will leave the comments on improvements to those who know what they're talkin about.... Congrats on a good match !

your video made me wish I would've shot this match.....Heck I live 45 min from the range.... ahh well maybe next year.... I'm new to USPSA & shooting in general, so I will leave the comments on improvements to those who know what they're talkin about.... Congrats on a good match !

Dude if you are 45 minutes from that range you are about as close as the hotels are. You better be at IPSC Nationals.

Edited by Ben Stoeger

Great feedback from Cha-Lee. I was taking notes. :) I've learned a lot about the need to reload quickly. :) I loved this match because there was really so many different ways to shoot each stage.

I placed lower than the OP but got the opportunity to squad with Dave Sevigny. So here's my 2 cents:

Sevigny shot stage 4 starting on the left. He took the 3 targets in front of him and moved to the right instead of going down range and coming back up. I did basically the same but screwed myself waiting for the swinger as I engaged too many steel before the swinger.

On this stage and in general for this match- execution and good hits was almost more important that the actual way you ran that stage. There were a lot of Mikes for this match.

On this stage and in general for this match- execution and good hits was almost more important that the actual way you ran that stage.

For the most part, this is is true for almost any stage. Come up with a plan, and execute it. It's easy to get caught up in trying to find that little edge in your plan that you lose focus on actually shooting and executing your run on the stage.

Charlie had a good rundown for you with alot of good advice. However, from a Production division, 10rd mag point of view, I'm gonna disagree with a couple of his stage plans though.

Running stage 4 from the right that way would have left you looking at 12 rounds and a standing reload at the end. Starting left, moving off the buzzer and going counter clockwise, you could run 10-10-8.

Stage 9, to stay on the platform would also have been a standing reload to shoot from up there, only to jump down and shoot from the same position you would have anyway had you done the reload while moving off the platform. IMO, shooting minor, recoil control would take a back seat to eliminating that extra shooting position.

Dude if you are 45 minutes from that range you are about as close as the hotels are. You better be at IPSC Nationals.

hhhhmmmm I might come video ya !

CHA-LEE, facelessman, thanks a lot for your comments. Most appreciated.

At couple stages I messed up the foot work. On stage 3 I overrun too much back, missing single shooting position for 4 targets on the left. On stage 6 there wasn't foot shift, I just had a trigger finger freeze on the last target. :)

I tried starting on the right on Stage 4, but it felt like too much running while shooting awkward targets on my right. The issue with reloads that facelessman mentioned, could have been mitigated by shooting those targets from far position, right after shooting one target on the far left behind palm trees.

Good comments about all moving targets. Somehow I completely failed to figure them out before shooting. Though most of them were too fast for me to shoot reliably.

Thanks again guys.