Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Super lightweight rifle build idea....Anyone used GWACS Lower?

thegunnerd

I just came across these lowers. All poly. I may be late to the party, but they seem like they're fairly well made. A little bit of flashing that needs to be smoothed out , but i can't think of a way to reduce an overall build by about a pound ( as they quote , compared to a standard A2 aluminum lower )

What would you use on your top end ? I would think a lightweight upper of some sort , 14.5" pencil barrel with pinned and welded muzzle brake .JP low mass bolt carrier group, Maybe a burris or trijicon micro red dot, and if you must magpul mbus sights. I wonder what the final weight would be .

Anyone try this out ?

http://www.gwacsarmory.com

Depends on what you were trying to use this for. Home defense or race gun? I have a super light weight 14.5 barrel, but if you send to many rounds down range the POI shifts from cold bore to 40-60 rounds. Vs Medium-recce profiles don't shift hardly at all. Also for a non race gun I would use a Young MFG lightened bolt carrier with the forward assist.

This has been covered at length. I'm pretty sure that the general agreement was that it isn't anywhere near a pound lighter than an aluminum lower.

I have a polymer lower. I have maybe 250 rounds through it. It is fine. Use the captured hammer and trigger pins. Everything will be fine.

I doubt i'd use it as a competition gun. Probably for carbine class or home defense. I just came across the lowers and have always wanted to see how light i could make an AR that was still shootable and at least moderately accurate . I don't need .5 moa . More then likely this would be a 100 yards and in gun.

A for the heck of it build. The complete lower is only 300 bucks. Maybe do some interesting stippling on the grip.

Edited by thegunnerd

These are made by the company that bought the Cavalry Arms equipment. They are good and I've built a few lately for folks who got caught without. I prefer a mid gas 16" barrel and a standard weight bcg. The lightest I got was 4.3 pounds with a fastfire. Most are around 5 pounds.