Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versa Max not ejecting

j28s

I put about 125 rounds through a new Versa Max and it stopped ejecting. Tried 4 different types of shells. Looks like it may be short stroking so I tried some slugs and #5 shot shells, and still not ejecting. Have to rack the slide to eject and allow another in the chamber....works like a bolt action rifle. Anyone know if this is a known issue and/or what the problem is?

Hello: Did you clean it before you shot it the first time? Check to make sure the barrel nut is tight. I have over 800 rounds through my Zombie gun and still have not cleaned the pistons. I did clean it before I used it the first time. It had some nasty grease and some anti rust stuf on some of the parts. Thanks, Eric

Well, I took the gun apart and found the problem. Seems the weld around the piston housing has failed. Looks like the other one on the others side may have some issues as well. Pretty sad a new gun, put 125 rounds through it to break it in and it gives up. Good thing it did happened now instead of at a match. Thoughts???

post-20787-0-15086300-1361501138_thumb.j

My first experience with Remington customer service was great. I bought a 26" Versamax(serial in the 18xxx range) new and it came with a visibly bent barrel, galded cam pin and the old style magazine end cap. Never shot it, called customer service, they sent me a call tag, etc. It arrived back to me with a new bolt, new mag cap and the same bent barrel. I still haven't shot it and am getting ready to send it back again. The sad part is you could even be blind and tell the barrel is bent, it has a kink about 8" from the muzzle on the right side and when you align the mid and front bead there is more barrel to the right of the rib then the left. We will see how it goes the second time around........ The bad part is I'm trying to get this finished in time to get some practice with it before SMM3G. Probably not gonna happen.....

That is actually the third one I have heard of with that problem. I know they fixed the first one quickly.

As for cleaning before shooting, I took one to 1250 rounds out of the box, no lube, no cleaning. Was messy when I took it apart though.

Well, Remington said to ship the entire gun back to them and they would look at it to determine what the problem is. If they can fix it, then they will. If they can't, then they will replace it. When asked the timeframe, they said they will not know until they get the gun and a gunsmith looks at it. I asked if I could just send the barrel, but they said no, for warranty work they have to have the whole gun. I asked if I could just buy a new barrel so I could get through the next match, they said they didn't have in Versa Max barrels for sale. Guess next Saturday 3gun match is out of the question now... I'll clue you in on the outcome.

Well, Remington said to ship the entire gun back to them and they would look at it to determine what the problem is. If they can fix it, then they will. If they can't, then they will replace it. When asked the timeframe, they said they will not know until they get the gun and a gunsmith looks at it. I asked if I could just send the barrel, but they said no, for warranty work they have to have the whole gun. I asked if I could just buy a new barrel so I could get through the next match, they said they didn't have in Versa Max barrels for sale. Guess next Saturday 3gun match is out of the question now... I'll clue you in on the outcome.

If you registered your new Versamax I believe you qualify for the 2 year warranty which has a 7 day turnaround guarantee at Remington(not including shipping).

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update. I called Remington and they said they are 'waiting for a barrel to come from their manufacturer'. They said they didn't have an ETA. I asked if they could take a barrel off of an existing Versa Max that is going out to a distributor to sell that way I can get mine more quickly. They said No, unfortunately they do not have an more Versa Max's in stock so they can't do that. When I asked, so you are telling me there are no Versa Max's instock so you can't give me a barrel off that? Response: Yes, I'm sorry. When I asked how long until the new barrel, she said they didn't know. I said, 2 weeks, 3 weeks, 4 weeks, 5 weeks? Response: probably, we don't know. I asked if there is someone else they could help me and she said no, that she already asked the supervisor. When I explained that I had the gun less than 72 hours and it broke after 125 rounds that it should be replaced more quickly. Response: I'm sorry. So that I didn't make the situation worse, I just hung up the phone. Is this common response from Remington? Are there really no more Versa Max's? Anyone have any advice?

Frustrating. And scary. I have had good dealings with Remington customer service. On the other hand, I would have been happier not needing to use them to begin with. I think you are stuck in the middle of possible several unfortunate circumstances combined to make a perfect storm for you. QC issues, no stock due to wild demand, and an unfavorable political environment making things even worse. I have confidence they will fix it, but it doesn't sound like it will be soon.

Edit: They have got to be aware of barrel problems. I wonder if they could be halting things until they get a handle on it. I've had FOUR barrels and none of them shoot slugs to POA.

Edited by assaulter

A friend contacted his friend that works at Remington. He said the guy checked on my Versa Max and said it "WILL" be shipped back out to me by Tuesday of next week. Said yes, if they receive the barrel from the barrel manufacturer by then I'll get that barrel. If they don't get any barrels, they will remove one from a Versa Max this is to be sent out to distributors. Said what 'quicky06' above pointed out...Versa Max has the platinum warranty...7 day turn around...period. Good to hear.

As the old saying goes, "if I knew then, what I know now"...yeah, I would have got a Benelli. Guess that is why most of the pro's have Benelli's...they work. Oh well...live and learn.

As the old saying goes, "if I knew then, what I know now"...yeah, I would have got a Benelli. Guess that is why most of the pro's have Benelli's...they work. Oh well...live and learn.

I just put a Versamax Tactical on layaway last week at a large retailer. I can switch my payments to a different gun without penalty and they are a Benelli dealer. Hmm....Decisions.....Decisions

Take a close look at the side of the shotgun. Does it say "Benelli", oh yeah, there's your problem.

I will give you this, I bet a gun that you can't shoot really does kick less than a benelli. :roflol:

Bwahahahahah I love it

I'm so glad I chose correctly...Love my M2

I'm sorry really. I hope they make it right for you

Get this. I call today to get an update. Remington is saying they still don't have any new barrels in and they are wating with an unknown ETA. When I referenced the platnium warranty, he said that only has to do with cleaning not repairs. When I started reading the warranty from the website and I asked to speak to someone else, he put me on hold...20 minutes later still waiting...I just hung up. Called back, same go around...put on hold and nothing. Anyone have a contact at Remington? This is sad!

• 1 month later...

Get this. I call today to get an update. Remington is saying they still don't have any new barrels in and they are wating with an unknown ETA. When I referenced the platnium warranty, he said that only has to do with cleaning not repairs. When I started reading the warranty from the website and I asked to speak to someone else, he put me on hold...20 minutes later still waiting...I just hung up. Called back, same go around...put on hold and nothing. Anyone have a contact at Remington? This is sad!

Has your issue been resolved??

I can relate! The mag cap was cross-threaded and stripped on my brand new VM Tactical. Orders many weeks ago from Remington...still no part, or updates. They won't even guess when they will have one in to ship out. I paid for a replacement from Nordic. Now they have great customer service! However, I have lost a lot of respect for Remington.

I can relate! The mag cap was cross-threaded and stripped on my brand new VM Tactical. Orders many weeks ago from Remington...still no part, or updates. They won't even guess when they will have one in to ship out. I paid for a replacement from Nordic. Now they have great customer service! However, I have lost a lot of respect for Remington.

I just made a large extra parts order from remington had it in my hands less than a week. Sounds terrible that they are willing to help new customers more than their loyal past customers when it comes to warranty issues.