Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 to 9mm

barneyb

Has anyone put a factory 9mm barrel in a 40 Pro? I know that Storm Lake makes a conversion barrel to do this but I'm wondering if I can't just put a factory 9 in it. Fitting problems? Accuracy?

Thanks for any information, comments

There is indication on the S&W forum that this has been done with hit or miss results, should be doable. You will of course have to purchase 9mm magazines so is it realy worth it???? Also, if your looking at use in production division believe this would not be a legal mod...... If intent is production, why not just load .40 for minor PF and have at it????

Has anyone put a factory 9mm barrel in a 40 Pro? I know that Storm Lake makes a conversion barrel to do this but I'm wondering if I can't just put a factory 9 in it. Fitting problems? Accuracy?

Thanks for any information, comments

I can't answer your question but others may be able to.

I use the Storm Lake 40 to 9 mm conversion barrel without any problems. The 40 slide works perfectly with no modifications.

If I were to do it over I would buy the KKM 40 to 9 mm conversion barrel instead. (I have a Storm Lake and KKM barrels for other guns and like the KKM better.) I didn't know KKM had the conversion barrel when I bought mine.

Using a Factory 9mm barrel may not work since the ejector is designed for a 40 round plus you may have other fitting issues. The Storm Lake Conversion Barrels Design moves the 9mm round closer to the ejector for proper placement plus it fits properly. You may also have magazine fitment issues (using a 9mm magazine in a 40 gun). Storm Lake Conversion Barrels users have documented mix results. It is safer and easier to just buy a dedicated 9mm handgun...or do what NoSteel sugests if that is the intent.

Yes I have done exactly that. No modifications, no problems other than slide does not lock back on last round. I use it for 3 gun with TF extensions holding 23 in mag. Accuracy is ok. I have not fine tuned it as I have my full size nine. Also poi moved from 40 to nine but not much. I shoot 147 lead 9mm.

Thanks for all the information guys, I appreciate it. My intent was similar to horseman's, convert my 5" pro 40 to 9mm for 3 gun use. I was considering buying a Storm Lake (didn't know that KKM makes one), when it dawned on me that I had a stock 9mm barrel left over from my 9mm major project. I may try it on my next trip to the range and see what happens.