Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Q's

Vipers

If I understand right, Glock uses the same springs, recoil, etc in the majority of their pistols. I have a 19 and wondering if it is worth changing everyone of them out or leave it alone? Make it more able 19. If changing, change to what? Any advise or views on this? I want to tune it up a bit and I already have a 3.5 lb connector.

In my opinion glocks are oversprung. That being said it depends what the gun is being used for. if it is CC and you are running +p ammo then I would leave it alone. If it is a range gun and shooting minor you can probably go down 2 lbs on the recoil spring and drop the striker spring to 5 lbs. without any problems. The 3.5 connector is purely shooters preference. Some like it some don't. It decreases pull a little bit but changes the feel. people describe the feel as 'mushy' whereas the stock one is more crisp.

Recoil springs are pretty gun specific within frame size in the 3rd Gen Guns. In other works you can use the same spring for G26, G27, G33. Is yours a Gen 4?

If you want to try different spring strengths for trigger return and striker, I'd suggest trying Wolff and get different service packs. See what works with the ammo you use.

http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=1&mID=5#139

Dave

Don't put an extra.power trigger spring and a light striker spring in together for safety purposes. Don't put too light of a striker spring in with a stock striker unless you have a limitless supply of Federal primers. Lessons learned in my first few years of shooting handguns.

The wonderful thing about Glock, is they keep it simple. The problem with keeping it simple is you get a one size fits all solution, and those never work very well for any specific reason.

I can't make any shots a distance with the factory trigger. Even the factory 4.5lb trigger found in the 17L and 24. Every time it breaks, my front sight moves. And I find a trigger bar alone was never the answer, but instead or rather alone changing the striker spring itself made the most difference.

I always get rid of the 5lb stock striker spring. I run either a 4.0 or a 4.5lb. I run hard sellier and bellot primers in my relaods, and don't have problems with light strikes using either weight. At least not until I start screwing around with aftermarket trigger connectors. The factory reduced pull connectors combined with a reduced striker spring seem to be fine, but I've had problems with others.

As far as the recoil spring, its just like any other gun. Run factory, unless you handload an under or overpowered load, or you lighten the slide by milling on it. (Just an opinion, some shooter will reduce the recoil spring even with factory loads) If you start messing with recoil springs, you need a chronograph to monitor standard deviation and extreme spread, an assortment of tension weights, and to keep an eye on your brass for pressure signs or excessive bulges in the case web. I run a pf of 167ish (its a little hotter in the summer) thru my Zev lightened G24 40sw, and a 130ish in my G34 9mm, and I still use the same stock factory recoil spring assembly in both.

I have seen people put in reduced tension springs in their firing pin safety block (which I found actually does help)

If you have to start changing other springs like the trigger return spring, you might as well just buy a whole new complete trigger system from Vanek, Vogel, or Zev.

You gun is powered by springs. Springs wear out, loose their tension, and occasionally break. Especially magazine springs. Once you find a recoil spring tension you like, buy extras. Keep extra springs around. Overhaul your gun at the end of the year if you shot it consistently all year, especially if your shooting a thousand or more rounds a month. Change out your recoil spring every 3 to 5 thousand rounds. And your mag springs if you start getting failure to feeds.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I will keep it as is and maybe buy a complete trigger system one of these days for it. Also I will buy some extra recoil springs and extras of the rest. Has anyone changed the guide rod to a metal one, like the one I links? Is it worth it?

http://www.glockstore.com/custom-parts-amp-accessories/heavy-tungsten-guide-rod

Thanks everyone for the advice. I will keep it as is and maybe buy a complete trigger system one of these days for it. Also I will buy some extra recoil springs and extras of the rest. Has anyone changed the guide rod to a metal one, like the one I links? Is it worth it?

http://www.glockstore.com/custom-parts-amp-accessories/heavy-tungsten-guide-rod

I have one, I think it's more mental than anything really.

The only supplement for good shooting, is good practicing.

If you have a gen4, make sure you get a reducer ring as well.

I have a g17 gen 3. I use a steel non captured guide rod with a 12# recoil spring. Had light strike issues with a 4# striker spring, switched to a 4.5# striker spring and those issues disappeared. Factory striker. And I use a vanek trigger kit that utilizes a factory trigger spring with a reduced safety plunger spring. This set up has run flawlessly for over 5000 rounds. Hope this helps.

Not a single light strike with the 4.5# striker spring using winchester primers.

Edited by Gunfighter01

I have been using the same Glock 19 for 12 years. Early on I replaced Glocks crappy sights with a set of night sights (non-adjustable so to speak) and it's been utterly reliable on the with Winchester white box (115 gr), and CCI Blazer (alum case 115 gr). I played the springs game for a while but found that, with the normal wear and tear of shooting about 200 rnds/week the fit between the striker and trigger bar (aka cruciform) cleaned up and corrected most all the nastiness associated with a Glock trigger. I use Glock factory springs in all locations save my 10 round mags. I replaced the std springs with +15% springs and found I get a better feed with mags that have 1 or 2 rounds (yes I know it was picky). Several yrs ago I shot what USPSA calls a standards course (50 yds freestyle, 35 yds strong hand 25 yds weak hand) and placed 10th out of 36 production shooters. Be it Glock, be it Springfield XD, be it S&W etc...the key is practice with your firearm in the configuration of your choice...The rest will come. I carry my 19 so keeping it stock (save the sights) is the wisest approach for me. Oh...For "detail" work I shoot Cor-Bon 115+P. No issues to report.