Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

8 shaped 9mm rounds

twister

Some people believe that when the 'Wasp Waist' aspect is strong, and the bullet is soft, the case may size the bullet down to a smaller diameter on seating. This has not been my experience, but the bullets I cast are so hard they ring when dropped on concrete.

If your bullet is too small, you will get lots of Leading.

Are you using a U-Die?

Most all of mine look like that. Not because the bullet is changing, but because I use a U-Die with pretty much all of my calibers and the brass is sized smaller than factory and smaller than the bullet.

U-Dies, hornady seating dies, and Lee Factory crimp dies are my standards.

Wasp waist is your friend, it prevents bullet setback. (The higher the friction between the case and the bullet the less likely you are to have setback. Crimping on an auto loader round should just remove the belling you did to start the bullet seating. A large amount of crimp will not prevent bullet setback in a loose case. (All of these I learned from Guy Neill and a couple of other folks that I no longer remember the names of.))

Wasp waist? That is a new one on me as well. Always called it coke bottle effect. Now, 8 shaped is definitely new!

Either way you go it's normal and preferred in 9mm.

Edited by Sarge