Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 special wadcutter

CComeaux

I have a friend at work that gave me 3 bags (about 25 lbs each) of lead wadcutter bullets. I want to load these up for my GP100 but i've NEVER loaded hard cast wadcutters. The only lead i've loaded so far has been Hornady 158 gr. LRN. I can figure out the load with the books I have but my question is about "lube". The hornady bullets came "pre-lubed" and these are just lead. Do I need to lube them with something and if so, what?

They may be lubed, just depends on the bullet. If they are cast bullets with lube grooves that do not have the typical wax lube in them then they are not lubed. If they are swaged bullets and they have a dark grey or almost black coating on them then they are lubed with a dry lube coating.

Neal in AZ

If they are not lubed might want to look at Lee Alox as it is an easy and cheap way to lube and works well.

Might want to verify diameter of your bullets, too. If they haven't been sized that can cause some issues..

Wadcutters from a .38 is probably the most fun you can have with a wheel gun! Enjoy your gift! :cheers: