Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Making the safety more positive

Atrain

I have a match that I am useing primarily for defense purposes. I like to keep it cocked and locked but I have noticed that the safety is pretty easy to flip and so far I have flipped it simply by pulling it out of a soft case I have for it, I think It caught the zipper or something. I have been trying to figure out how to increase the tension a little so it is not so easy to flip. I could put in the smaller safety from the regular witness which would have less leverage , but I use it as a thumb rest so I don't like that idea. After takeing the safety off I see that there is a spring and ball setup that control the tension but I do not see how to disassemble further. i wonder if i could put in a heavier spring or something. Any ideas ? Thanks guys!

You can grind out the upper notch in the frame so that the de-tent plunger sits out further when the safety is applied. My gun has had this treatment and it's quite nice. That said, I didn't do it myself. I had the work done by someone who knows Tanfoglio handguns in-side-out.

Edited by alexm

Nice ! I think that's the best way to go, i did not think of that. Did he need to recoat the frame are anything ? Mine has that hard chrome finish I wonder if it matters much if I grind on it a little . can hard chrome pill off like Thanks for the reply !

You can grind out the upper notch in the frame so that the de-tent plunger sits out further when the safety is applied. My gun has had this treatment and it's quite nice. That said, I didn't do it myself. I had the work done by someone who knows Tanfoglio handguns in-side-out.

AlexM- Who did the work for you? Do you have their contact information?

Yeah you don't want to touch the safety detent thingie. Its shaped like a bullet with a larger diameter ring at the bottom. It is staked into the hole and if it comes out its a huge PITA to get back in.

I've had several tanfoglio pistols and have "worn out" or broke the little detent on the safeties on several of them. I think it's one of the downfalls of the tanfo design. Henning mentioned he was coming out with his own safeties, I'll be inerested to see what he comes up with.

A modified 1911 plunger safety pin will work jus t fine , it does not need to be captured from the safety and one can play this the length of it and the length of the spring behind to add or remove pressure as need it.