Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Some ?'s about modding my TS

mspiredm3

As is my habit with anything, I must mod it! Already got some flat aluminum grips and a SS guide rod...So, some questions for you guys...

1) What is the benefit of a reduced power main/hammer spring since the gun is SA only?

2) I already got a a flat SA only trigger from CZC. Are there any DIY's on how to install it?

3) I believe I have seen an aluminum guide rod plug, where would I find one of those?

4) What else can I do to it? :)

Thanks guys!

Unless you got stuck with a crappy trigger, I don't think you'll benefit from a reduce power main spring. My gun came from the factory with a 1lb trigger. You can adjust the pretravel and overtravel on the trigger to get a feel very similar to a 1911. I'd play with rate on the recoil spring. My gun likes a 14lb spring, but a lot of the other guys run 11's or 12's. I like the aluminum IPSC magwell from CZC as well.

1) When I installed the race hammer (highly recommended) I tested the resulting pull weights with hammer springs from 7.5# to 18#, I found that with my polished sear and hammer the pull weights ranged from 1#2oz to 1#10oz. I actually prefer the 18# hammer as the lighter springs made for a mush break.

3) Is your a 9mm? The 40 doesn't use a guide rod plug.

Unless you got stuck with a crappy trigger, I don't think you'll benefit from a reduce power main spring. My gun came from the factory with a 1lb trigger. You can adjust the pretravel and overtravel on the trigger to get a feel very similar to a 1911. I'd play with rate on the recoil spring. My gun likes a 14lb spring, but a lot of the other guys run 11's or 12's. I like the aluminum IPSC magwell from CZC as well.

The trigger started out pretty crappy and was over 3#! It has gotten much better (it's not around 1.8#), but still I feel it needs some work. I had fired a TS 40 before buying mine, and I remember the trigger being much nicer... The break just isn't as clean as I would expect it to be. My Phantom with CGW hammer and other mods breaks much nicer. Oh, and I already have the CZC magwell too.

I've never played with recoil springs in any of my pistols. What are the benefits?

1) When I installed the race hammer (highly recommended) I tested the resulting pull weights with hammer springs from 7.5# to 18#, I found that with my polished sear and hammer the pull weights ranged from 1#2oz to 1#10oz. I actually prefer the 18# hammer as the lighter springs made for a mush break.

3) Is your a 9mm? The 40 doesn't use a guide rod plug.

Yea, it's a 9mm.

I want the race hammer, but it's been out of stock for months!

I have an extra 13# hammer spring, I think I will throw it in and see how it feels

Try Cajun Gun Works for a race hammer...and while you're at it, get one of his sears. David's products are top-notch!

A-G

BTW: David has modified a Combat trigger to SA only. Now that's a cool look...and a greatly reduced reach for short fingers!

Edited by All-Gator

Try Cajun Gun Works for a race hammer...and while you're at it, get one of his sears. David's products are top-notch!

A-G

BTW: David has modified a Combat trigger to SA only. Now that's a cool look...and a greatly reduced reach for short fingers!

Contacted Davids as I love his products, but he doesn't have the wider hammer for the Tac Sports

as long as the base of the hammer is wide in the frame, the CGW hammer would work.

since gun is SAO, go with the 15# hammer spring. gain is only about .25 to .5# by going lighter, but you give up some in reliability with primers.

still should be able to get 2# trigger with 15# spring.

stay with the delrin plug. durable, won't break and lightest material to put in reciprocating mass of the slide.

If you really want to do some serious modding, do like I had done and get a grip reduction and have lightening slide cuts on the slide. You won't recognize the gun when you shoot it afterwards. Mine looked BA.