Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Black bullets international ? Thoughts

trp

Bullseye would not be my 1st choice for powder. It is really dirty. We recommend WST, Solo1000,or N320 to maximize the smoke reduction but I understand that these days you sometimes have to use what you can get your hands on. You need a fast powder that burns relatively cool. <br /><br />Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bullets are dirty - regardless what flavor you use. As Chandler said, the moly bullets are going to be dirtier based on how they are produced. And I guess to argue which bullet is dirtier is kind of like arguing who is the tallest pygmy.

I have used moly bullets since the early 90's, originally in Super. At that time, I used 135gr bullets. But as guns and powders evolved, most open shooters start shooting 125gr or less......and the required increase in bullet speed caused too many issues, in my opinion, with leading and smoke. End result, I quit using moly's in Super and restricted their use to 40 and 45.

A few years ago I experimented with the moly's again in Super......disaster. My gun looked like it had been dragged through a charcoal pit in only a mag or two.

Based on a recent conversation I had with another open shooter, I tried Chandler's bullets in my super. The results were incredible! I am running a 125gr bullet behind 11gr of AA7 - so nothing close to minor. The smoke was surprisingly minimal, the groups were tight, and the gun was about as dirty as I hoped (you will get more 'funk' when using non-jacketed bullets).......but the results were MORE than acceptable.

So while that is a bit of an endorsement of his bullets - it is also to say that if a bullet can withstand the speeds and heat of shooting major in a super, the bullet should REALLY perform well in Ltd, SS, and etc. where the speeds and the intensity of the powder are typically less.