Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magwell for Trojan 5.0

theogre

I have an STI Trojan 5.0 comming soon, and want to put a magwell in it. I will be shooting IDPA. I have 2 qestions:

What magwell should I get?

If I get the Dawson Ice nogap do I have to get and use the basepads?

I havn't decided which one yet, but in looking at all of them another question came up. My gun is hardchromed, for the ones that need a new mainspring housing, which finish do I go with? Will any of them look good with the hardchrome?

Thanks

Theogre

Edited by theogre

I use the Dawson Ice with/gap and Wilson ETM mags (normal basepads). With the Dawson ice, you really have to practice as they don't stick out very far. I'd suggest practice or dummy rounds with the weight of the mag feels the same as when loaded. I have missed the final click of the magazine catch more than once. If you get thebDawson basepads, it looks like they stick out from the bottom a little more than the normal ETM pads.

(I'm assuming 45. I don't have any experience with 40 and 9 mags.)

Good luck.

Thanks for all the replies.

I havn't decided which one yet, but in looking at all of them another question came up. My gun is hardchromed, for the ones that need a new mainspring housing, which finish do I go with? Will any of them look good with the hardchrome?

Thanks

Theogre

I use the SV magwell. Its a little more expensive but well worth it.

+1

I went with the aluminum. My Trojans are .40, and anything else would be really close to weight limit.

I also ground a little off the bottom, so my basepads stick out further. :cheers:

I have an STI Trojan 5.0 comming soon, and want to put a magwell in it. I will be shooting IDPA. I have 2 qestions:

What magwell should I get?

If I get the Dawson Ice nogap do I have to get and use the basepads?

Thanks

Theogre

I used this Wilson one and just polished it shiny with 600 paper. Cheap and requires minimal fitting, also removable and does not require mods to the gun. You will need basepads.

http://www.midwayusa...-well-1911-blue

Edited by bountyhunter