Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New P30 First day at range

alscott

Took my new P30 out for the first time today. Had USP .45's and moved away from them for a while, tried XD's, FNP 45, FNX 9 and was disappointed with all. Each one had stovepipes first day at the range. Today HK = perfect. I used 115 grain Zero and Estate ammo too. I had my new G17 with me too and the P30 recoil seemed noticeably snappier, I realize it's shorter but was surprised at the difference. Unfortunately I was more accurate with the G17 too. Still loved the P30 and will keep it forever. My first pistols were the USP's and I have always regretted selling them.

• 3 months later...

Glad you like you P30. I like mine as well but the front sight came flying off during the first time I shot it. Yes it was brand new, V1. Had to send the slide to H&K. I too found it a little snappy but once I became accustomed to the grip and found a way to grip it high enough without messing with that huge slide lever, I'm able to get faster follow-up shots. Granted its not like shooting my G17 and G34 but its on par with my G19. It is more accurate than I expected though. My sights are stock and surprised I can get as good of groups as my G19 with Warren/Sevigny's. I also had problems with the slide not loading the first round correct which cause a failure to feed on the first round only. But after cleaning, it was fine. Nowadays I tend to clean less often, but shoot more often. I am breaking it in with 124gr as recommended by H&K. Not exactly sure why they recommend the 124gr but this time I'll follow directions. With my current problems, it won't be my carry conceal but it's a fun range gun, possibly some IDPA.

• 3 weeks later...

Alscott,

I have a P30 and I have also noticed that the HK has more perceived recoil than most of my Glocks. The P30 in 9MM seems to recoil about like a G23 in .40. At least that's my subjective impression. It certainly seemed to want to jump around quite a bit.

• 1 month later...

Glad you like you P30. I like mine as well but the front sight came flying off during the first time I shot it. Yes it was brand new, V1. Had to send the slide to H&K. I too found it a little snappy but once I became accustomed to the grip and found a way to grip it high enough without messing with that huge slide lever, I'm able to get faster follow-up shots. Granted its not like shooting my G17 and G34 but its on par with my G19. It is more accurate than I expected though. My sights are stock and surprised I can get as good of groups as my G19 with Warren/Sevigny's. I also had problems with the slide not loading the first round correct which cause a failure to feed on the first round only. But after cleaning, it was fine. Nowadays I tend to clean less often, but shoot more often. I am breaking it in with 124gr as recommended by H&K. Not exactly sure why they recommend the 124gr but this time I'll follow directions. With my current problems, it won't be my carry conceal but it's a fun range gun, possibly some IDPA.

The P30 has a notoriously "stiff" stock recoil spring. It is very common for a new P30 to have stove pipe and failure to feed issues out of the box with ammo that has a lighter charge. They recommend 124g because it is typically "hotter" than 115g. This is supposed to break in your recoil spring so that you will be able to shoot any ammo without a problem.

After a good break in the P-30 will cycle lighter loads with a firm grip. The only trouble I've ever had was with match loads fired from a compromised one hand grip, i.e., carrying a briefcase while crossing to my right

. This combo produced stove pipes. Seen it from a buddies .40 fired weak hand.