Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ultrasonic cleaners

Im looking for opinions here... I'm thinking about getting an ultrasonic cleaner for cleaning my brass, and also for cleaning pistol frames, bolts, carriers etc...

I already have a media tumbler, and it does an ok job for my brass. Then about 6 months ago, I bought the stainless steel pins and was planning on getting a rotary tumbler for them, but haven't got one yet...

Now I'm thinking about selling the SS pins and just getting an US cleaner instead since I don't even have the rotary tumbler yet, that way I can use it for cleaning parts too since I'll be doing more gun smithing now.

My question is:

I know that the USC solution is good for only so many washes. Do I need to dump out the solution after every time I clean, or can I get a couple washes for brass, or gun parts, from each "batch" of solution?

And when I do dump it out, how do I dispose of it?

There are 2 cleaning solutions, 1 for brass amd 1 for other stuff. Do not use the brass cleaner on non-brass stuff. You can use the brass solution till is does not work very well. I have cleaned 5,000 9mm cases on one solution mix with out any problem. I would have used it more, but ran out of dirty brass and did not want the solution sitting in the machine. Use distilled water, it makes a difference, at least it does for me. I have a septic system, and I just dumped it down the sink. Not sure what else to do with it or if there is a reason to think it is a hazard.

Edited by jlamphere

For gun parts, after I pull the parts out, I let the solution stand as long as possible. Preferably overnight, if not, then at least a few hours This lets the crud settle to he bottom.

I then put a funnel with a piece of a paper towel as a filter in my container. I slowly scoop out solution with a cup and pour into the funnel. When I get down to the las 1/4-3/8 inch of standing solutiton with a lot of crud on the bottom, I pour it in the cracks of my driveway to kill the weeds.

Kill the weeds!! Awesome idea!

For gun parts, after I pull the parts out, I let the solution stand as long as possible. Preferably overnight, if not, then at least a few hours This lets the crud settle to he bottom.

I then put a funnel with a piece of a paper towel as a filter in my container. I slowly scoop out solution with a cup and pour into the funnel. When I get down to the las 1/4-3/8 inch of standing solutiton with a lot of crud on the bottom, I pour it in the cracks of my driveway to kill the weeds.

• 4 months later...

Does anyone think the Ultrasonic process could in any way affect gun parts? (negatively obviously)

Don't know why i'm worried about it, but thought I would ask. There are always nooks and crannies of gun pieces that I should probably put more effort into cleaning, but if the US wouldn't damage it, I may just jump on the bandwagon.

I have used Ultra Sonic for the past four years. I have never had any issue with any gun parts. Even polymer is safe. M-Pro 7 is the cleaner I am currently using. Now I know you would never put wood grips or stag or ivory in a cleaner. So don't

You will be good to go.

:eatdrink: