Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I've had a massive breakthrough over the last couple weeks.

DonovanM

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, smooth is not fast. Smooth is smooth. As for going for accuracy first, a little story.

We have a local guy that was/is fast as lightning but he had a lot of D hits and Mikes. I mean a lot, like over 20 on a 6 stage local match. I would have cried myself to sleep with that shooting.

I, like a lot of other people, told him to slow down and get his hits. Thankfully he never paid any attention. After a little over 2 years shooting he's now a double GM. I was a B (shooting over 90% points at most all matches) when he started and I'm still a B, still shooting good points. He figured out how to get good hits at his speed.

Bottomline, IMO, you have to get on targets and move very fast if you want to excel at this sport. Going at your normal, certain speed and getting good hits will keep you in your class. Smooth isn't fast, fast is fast.

YMMV

IMO, smooth is not fast. Smooth is smooth. As for going for accuracy first, a little story.

We have a local guy that was/is fast as lightning but he had a lot of D hits and Mikes. I mean a lot, like over 20 on a 6 stage local match. I would have cried myself to sleep with that shooting.

I, like a lot of other people, told him to slow down and get his hits. Thankfully he never paid any attention. After a little over 2 years shooting he's now a double GM. I was a B (shooting over 90% points at most all matches) when he started and I'm still a B, still shooting good points. He figured out how to get good hits at his speed.

Bottomline, IMO, you have to get on targets and move very fast if you want to excel at this sport. Going at your normal, certain speed and getting good hits will keep you in your class. Smooth isn't fast, fast is fast.

YMMV

+1 Great Post

YMMV

I witnessed this phenom happened too. Gone in the opposite direction. He listened and slowed down to get d hits. He got it but his speed is gone. Now after yrs of shooting he is only A class at most, when I think he could have been a GM or M at least.

YMMV

Honestly, my experience was pretty similar.

I started out hosing like mad, but it wasn't until I started taking care on every single shot ("slowing down" is totally not the right verbiage) that I made M and GM.

YMMV

+1 Great Post

great read. My son is lightning fast and I have been trying to get him to slow down. Now I think I will just watch and hopefully learn from him

Never been called slow but I find to win I have to shoot 90-94% of the points. I see a lot of "speedsters" with 6-10 penalties and they don't win except for the occasional club match with nobody good shooting.

I practice to be smooth and very fast. They are related. Every watch a great car racer, dancer, golfer, shreding guitar player, etc...... They look smooth because they are so good at what they do. One reason is that extra motion is eliminated (the smooth) and they do it faster or better than the rest (the fast)

I guess you might say smooth is a by product of not wasting energy/motion

Its not one, its both that are important.

That said when I coach I often see either the speed demon double tapper or the careful safe shooter and neither one is good,

I do teach that this is a points per second game and you must shoot with urgency and understand where speed rules

• 1 month later...

This is something I need to work on. Since I shoot IDPA I need to remember that accuracy is more important than speed. Then again, it doesn't help when I go slow and still hit -1 or -3

Don't go slow. Be patient.

Yes. Be visually patient. Wait to see what you know you need to see to confirm that each shot hit the target. That was HUGE for me.

I have shot 5 USPSA local match and I'm starting to see my front sight and have also incorporated some visualization after reading some post here.

Being visually patient and shooting with this kind of speed per your sight is my goal. As a newbie I feel like I'm rushing sometimes.

Nice info, I have been focusing on basic fundamentals,shooting from bench, trigger control, grip strength and breathing.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Great post. I plan to try to apply your philosophy when I shoot my first match. I say try because I think it's going to be hard not to rush it. I recently purchased a SIRT pistol and practice with it every day. My trigger mechanics are improving because of it. What are your thoughts about the SIRT pistol and how do you practice dry fire with it?

You've got to relax to shoot well, an inner calmness. Picture yourself shooting the stage in your mind, rehearse it until it's clear. Your body will react as planned. Tell yourself this is fun, it'll break the tension.

Yes that is great stuff!

If you're rushing or tense, you must be caring (too much).

You've got to relax to shoot well, an inner calmness. Picture yourself shooting the stage in your mind, rehearse it until it's clear. Your body will react as planned. Tell yourself this is fun, it'll break the tension.

Yes that is great stuff!

When you and Rob were kicking butt and taking names, didn't you rush and really care how the match turned out or did you just shoot and not worry about the match results?

Yes that is great stuff!

When you and Rob were kicking butt and taking names, didn't you rush and really care how the match turned out or did you just shoot and not worry about the match results?

That is what I always did when I shot my best. Just shot to my capacity without trying or caring about anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently, I've found that attempting to be more deliberate in getting my sight picture before pulling the trigger has helped with my accuracy, but I didn't slow down much at all.

That and wearing Oakley anti-fog bronze lens instead of cheapo Walmart eye wear so I'm not blind.

Edited by LuckyDucky

YMMV

Good post!

I think it is Eric Grauffel like story. He always was very very fast, but not that great at his hits in young years. Look at him now. He is still very very fast, but he figured out how to get good hits. He is unbeatable for more than 10 years.

Never been called slow but I find to win I have to shoot 90-94% of the points. I see a lot of "speedsters" with 6-10 penalties and they don't win except for the occasional club match with nobody good shooting.

I practice to be smooth and very fast. They are related. Every watch a great car racer, dancer, golfer, shreding guitar player, etc...... They look smooth because they are so good at what they do. One reason is that extra motion is eliminated (the smooth) and they do it faster or better than the rest (the fast)

I guess you might say smooth is a by product of not wasting energy/motion

Its not one, its both that are important.

That said when I coach I often see either the speed demon double tapper or the careful safe shooter and neither one is good,

I do teach that this is a points per second game and you must shoot with urgency and understand where speed rules

Thats a fantastic post! :bow:

YMMV

I like this post a lot and it is going to make me go in a different direction on my shooting for a while to see if I can overcome a problem im having with shotgun shooting.

I shoot mostly 3 gun now but started out shooting pistol only games. I came to the sport not really knowing anything about the sport and never seeing tv shows or forums... a total ignorant virgin. I went to my first pistol match and saw that i was actually really fast but misses all over the place. I knew exactly what i was going to do after that first match... go to the range and figure out how to get good hits but the hell with slowing down. Now im really competitive with my pistol at the club level anyway and im very confident with my speed and ability to get good hits at full speed.

Right about the time i was getting this down i started reading all this forum information, b enos book, anderson shooting stuff, etc all the staple material for our sport and i think some of it messed with my head and I also got the 3 gun bug about the same time. Well right out of the gate i knew rifle was going to be my weekness, i had never owned an AR and i got one and i was really slow at first because i was spending so much time worrying about getting misses. Then at a 3 gun match one of the guys i had been whipping up on in pistol matches showed me how it was done with the rifle... i couldnt believe the splits and target transitions. So i went to the range and started shooting my AR that fast too and then i figured out how to get the hits with it. Figured out how to get the hits at the speed i wanted to shoot...

So on to the problem im having now... shotgun... i have tons of trigger time with a shotgun bird hunting all over the world and have shot close to a gazillion rounds before i ever started 3 gun. You would think (i did) shotgun would be my strength but it has turned out that shooting static targets is a really big problem for me.... I have basically tried everything to shoot faster with it EXCEPT shooting faster with it... im trying so hard to take my time and get good hits that it is just all toooo much... im going out the next few weeks on a mission to just shoot it as fast as I can and learn how to get my hits at the speed i want to shoot... then i can figure out what an exceptible sight picture is with my shotgun on different targets... i just cant think of another way that will work at this point...

the biggest problem may be that i have let it all get in my head... i know what the right mindset is to win matches but it is hard for me to get there when i feel like im missing a tool to win...

anyone think this is a waste of time with the shotgun... it seems to be what worked with my pistol and rifle??

I do know i need direction and purpose in practice or im just throwing lead.