Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Spent Primer Solution - Nothing New...just a video

Looks great but won't work on this 'old timers' 1993 era XL650.

I think mods like this, and I've seen several, only work on late model versions. They made a change at some point, when I don't

know.

I'm stuck with the plastic cup till I bust my press I guess.

Buzi, I'm wondering if they'd upgrade you. I haven't had a need for support with my Dillon, but I know on my Lee I could send it back anytime for full retail credit toward the same, newer or different product.

Maybe I'm confused, but I don't see how this could possibly be applied to the 550. Since the 550 primes and decaps through the same hole in the shell plate, if you were to stick anything into the hole, you'd be unable to prime, and actually unable to even lower the shell plate, since your tube assembly would interfere with the primer slide.

Nope, I'm sure I'm the one that's confused. Never seen a 550 except on YouTube. I was told (and should've verified) that the only difference was that you had to advance the 550 manually. What are the other differences? ADDING A NOTE TO THE VIDEO...thanks for the catch!

I've never seen a 650...but from what I've read, the only similarities in the priming systems are they use a tubular magazine and feed primers. Does the 650 advance on the up-stroke and prime in station 2 at the end of the up-stroke? The 550 decaps and primes in station 1, then you manually advance it and drop powder in station 2.

The 650 deprimes and sizes in station 1, as the shellplate carrier lowers it advances to station 2 and primes at the bottom (plate down/ handle up). Then goes back up for the powder drop in station 2. Station 3 is either empty (like mine), powder check, or bullet feeder. Station 4 is bullet seating, and 5 is crimp.

That's as I figured...and why these mods can be done on a 650, but not on the 550. The 550 sh ts where it eats. As can be expected, this can cause a variety of issues, particularly decapping residue fouling the priming system.

Yeah...I know all about residue (was powder in the Lee) fouling the priming system. I still have my Lee Progressive setup (with a case feeder AND a bullet feeder) but when my wife and I start loading at the same time (and I'm a little faster and more aggressive than her) the Dillon is still twice as fast (if not more). While she keeps cranking away, I'm cleaning the primer system every time I get to some military brass that wasn't sorted out.

Buzi, I'm wondering if they'd upgrade you. I haven't had a need for support with my Dillon, but I know on my Lee I could send it back anytime for full retail credit toward the same, newer or different product.

I thought I might do just that. But do to the current insanity and crises mode I'll just wait.

Might be much later this year and I'll write and ask them. I think for 50 bucks or so they do a factory refurb and I' imagine they'd update it alright.

I've seen others post relating such experience.