Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Too much pistol?

amac

I often wonder the same thing ,if most people would be just as happy shooting with say a glock etc than spending a ton of money.

Not me...I shot polymer for 5 years in production and limited before I bought a 2011....now I never want to shoot anything else..love the feel of the platform and the weight

I could understand if a 2011 was "too much"... like buying a motorcycle that is too heavy, or too much engine... but lets face it... there isn't anything "more" about a 2011 than a Glock. If anything, a Glock is more difficult to master with less practice.

A lot of people I see that want to get into this sport think that a 2011 pistol is something that only belongs in the hands of a higher rank shooter.. that is completely false.

To me it seems like you are saying "I have too nice of a gun for how little I shoot"... which sounds silly.

If the Glock would help your performance get it, but if you want to get a Glock because you think you don't deserve a 2011, don't.

Great post

I had to sell 3 guns to buys my edge . Now I'm not that good and their are plenty of shooters better. I decided when I do shoot I want to shoot what I want not have guns in the safe I don't . Did I need it hell no but life too short too shoot a gun I'm settling for. Just keep it and enjoy it even if its only once in a while, you deserve it

Keep it! I've been in the same place. Here's my rationale...You probably will never be able to replace it for what you currently have in it and you WILL wish you had it back at some point. I started out shooting an M&P 40. Love it and shot it well for the practice time I had available. Found an Edge for a good deal and bought it on impulse, didn't NEED it. Now I love it and am in a position where I do have time to practice. Matches are more fun and I see improvement so I practice more. I've sold off other guns, saddles, watches that were real quality and I just thought I don't use them so grab cash. It's never been worth it as my life changed, I would have used them again and now can't replace them for anything remotely reasonable. Glocks/M&Ps are relatively inexpensive and you can always find one. Not so for the 2011. Keep it! End of ramble...

AMAC - this post reflects my experience. I have frequently regretted selling guns, watches, cars, just to fund some urgent need or to placate the "I don't really need it" fairy. It has always cost me more to replace it later when the desire arose again.

Like others have said, if you don't need the money then keep it and shoot it when you can. MIT be better to save up for a while and buy the Glock, M&P, or Springfield plastic gun of your choice to shoot for a while. That will probably drive you back to the 2011 pretty quickly.

- John

I jumped into the 2011 foray last year and am wondering is there such thing as too much gun for a mild hobbyist? I like to compete and have a strong competitive drive, but this is just a hobby. When I made the purchase, I justified the cost six ways to sundown. I was hot into 3gun and shooting USPSA every other weekend. Unfortunately, my shooting isn't the best and my drive for the hobby is waning. Couple that with limited ammo supply and now my practicing has become limited to match events. I went full on custom and am thinking of stepping back into the world of Glock. Not that there is anything wrong with Glock, but I'm wondering if I've got too much pistol for my level of interest? Any advice?

I'd like to answer that by asking you this- Does this sandwich have too much bacon?

You said you're shooting isn't the best and that your drive is waning. I could be wrong, but I don't see how a lighter, heavier trigger pull gun would help. Do you dryfire? If not, I'd start with a structured dry fire program. That will help you see better results at matches and give you motivation to continue.

Unless of course you want to trade me for one of my Glocks. In that case you definitely don't need that 2011!

I had to sell 3 guns to buys my edge . Now I'm not that good and their are plenty of shooters better. I decided when I do shoot I want to shoot what I want not have guns in the safe I don't . Did I need it hell no but life too short too shoot a gun I'm settling for. Just keep it and enjoy it even if its only once in a while, you deserve it

+ 1

I had to sell 3 guns to buy my Edge! I'm keeping mine (mines out right now getting some work done on it)! You should keep yours! Like others have said spend time practicing! I definitely plan to practice/ train this season.

Man, you all have my pegged. Two things... One, I went to one of my regular 3gun matches this past weekend and go to pull the trigger. There is nothing like the feeling of shooting a 2011! I love the pistol when I'm shooting it. Two, I went into my local gun shop on Monday and the first gun I picked up was a Springfield 1911. I clearly have a soft spot for the look, style and feel of a 1911/2011. From my own thoughts and after reading all the posts here, THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL I'M EVER SELLING MY 2011 :excl: :excl:

Thanks for all the great input and encouragement. :)

Take out your 2011 and a Glock and run them against each other on the clock. Make the courses difficult. Put in tight/far shots in the middle of hosing. Throw in transitions if you can. Who wins? Let the clock decide. Then you will have no doubt as to where you are with which gun before you go selling anything.

Then, stop worrying about ammo for anything but matches for a while. Take twenty minutes a day and practice dry-fire with minis taped to your wall to simulate lots of partials, no-shoots, even poppers. Watch that front sight and trigger relationship. Just get in the habit of needing to see that as much as possible. Feel where it is you need to prep the trigger as your eyes track the sights. Get extremely comfortable with checking the gun every time you go to holster/pick-up your pistol. LOOK!!

And just keep it up. Watch it change. If it is the Glock, I would say give it a couple of years and if you make B or better try the 2011 again. If at that point, it does nothing to improve your game, then sell it. If, on the other hand, it does, then switch over.

By then you will be a more natural shooter. I think you have to get to a certain point before you decide what your hands really like.

Either way, enjoy.

JZ

I'm in the same situation as the OP- considering selling my STI limited gun. I've gone back to shooting production the past month in local matches to try it out, but I shoot way better with the 2011. And for me it's a heck of a lot more fun in limited division.

I'm kind of in the same boat... I was a ss/l10 guy but got a deal on a 6" 40 a few years back.... Now I'm hooked on a 2011's trigger, easy to load well, and shoot ability so much that I picked up a tactical 45 for carry and HD. Just love the platform after a few years in the game.

Find what makes you happy and roll with it. who cares what you're doing as long as you have fun

Most men will let themselves have only one girl "that got away" during a lifetime. But for some reason we do it over and over with guns. DON'T be that kind of knucklehead. You will regret it. Do you like the gun? Keep the gun. Period. End of story.

Since very few of us make money shooting, by definition it is something we do to enjoy ourselves. I shoot sporting clays mainly, and I routinely get beaten by people shooting guns that cost 10% what my beautifully engraved, custom stocked gun cost. For a brief time, I switched to one of those guns to see if they were better. The short answer was no. And I didn't have the pleasure of using my treasured gun mentioned above. So I have dedicated more effort to trying to shoot to the level of the gun, but I also try to remember that I do this for pleasure.

When it comes to pistols, I actually shoot Glocks better than other pistols, and I don't have any pistols that just give me joy when I shoot them the same way that shotgun does. So do what maximizes your enjoyment of the sport.

Glad to hear you decided to keep it. In my younger (read: poor) days I traded or sold guns for others. And I regretted it every time. Now I have the means I'm searching and buying the same guns I sold/traded before, only now it is usually more expansive.