Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Too much pistol?

amac

I jumped into the 2011 foray last year and am wondering is there such thing as too much gun for a mild hobbyist? I like to compete and have a strong competitive drive, but this is just a hobby. When I made the purchase, I justified the cost six ways to sundown. I was hot into 3gun and shooting USPSA every other weekend. Unfortunately, my shooting isn't the best and my drive for the hobby is waning. Couple that with limited ammo supply and now my practicing has become limited to match events. I went full on custom and am thinking of stepping back into the world of Glock. Not that there is anything wrong with Glock, but I'm wondering if I've got too much pistol for my level of interest? Any advice?

If you dont need to sell I would say keep it and use it when you can. I dont think you need to be a pro shooter to have a nice pistol and if you like it keep it if not sell it. I never have time right now to shoot matches let alone practice but having my CZ Tactical Sport sent out for some custom mods, there will be a time when I can get back into shooting more and the gun will be waiting for me when that time comes.

If you dont need to sell I would say keep it and use it when you can. I dont think you need to be a pro shooter to have a nice pistol and if you like it keep it if not sell it. I never have time right now to shoot matches let alone practice but having my CZ Tactical Sport sent out for some custom mods, there will be a time when I can get back into shooting more and the gun will be waiting for me when that time comes.

I don't "need" the money, but I don't like having that much money tied up in something that might not get used as much as it should. Kinda like having a boat constantly parked in the driveway! :D

I don't "need" the money, but I don't like having that much money tied up in something that might not get used as much as it should. Kinda like having a boat constantly parked in the driveway! :D

If you enjoy shooting it and like it enough to keep it around do so if your feeling like you need to get rid of it and buy something else that is a option also. I have done the same with guns just laying around and sold them now I wish I didnt. I wish I would of kept my STI Edge just to play around with and Springfield RO.

Edited by G34 CORDY

Buy a .22 conversion unit for and shoot the heck out of it.

I more comfortable with the 1911 platform than anything else.

Dave, KC, Jessie, and Randi have proven you can win with a Glock.

So it floats your boat then go for it.

Edited by pjb45

What do you think will excite you about the sport again, and get you excited about shooting your gun? Maybe a training class, or hook up with the local GM/M for some one on one practice sessions. It's between the ears, man. I've seen a lot of shooters come and go since I've been doing this. They either love it or not. If you can find the passion, you will look at your custom pistol in a new light. Kind of like wives/girlfriends (but not both at the same time) now that I think about it. And this might get more reads in a different category.

Ultimately it is your decision. You have already invested in the 2011 and if you do not want to practice and shoot a lot now you may want to come back at some point. The one hard part is if you do sell you may or may not have the mindset or financial resource to come back, if later you choose to do so. To truly compete at the highest level as in any sport requires a commitment from you (financial and time) and some natural talent to be competitive. I am not such a person however i do really enjoy the folks who go to shoots, shooting in competitions and the satisfaction when i do well for my skills set (I compete against my last performance). I have a Dawson Edge and it has the capacity to outperform my ability (talent and desire) i would not put that much money in a competition gun and gear again, however it is there and when i go to a shoot or the range it is not the gun that determines my ranking.

If you don't need the money, keep it. Everyone gets in a rut at some point. The key is to just put it in the safe and do something different for a while. Don't sell it. You'll eventually come back around and say, "Oh, Yeah, I got this 2011 I can smoke fools with, maybe I should go to the next match."

And then you'll be back in it and glad you didn't sell it.

I have said for years: Need ain't got nothin' to do with it. The two most important things are do you want it and do you have the money to buy it. I like expensive, custom built/high end firearms and I own a bunch of them. If you don't have a pressing need for money, keep the STI and get a production gun. As has been mentioned, you may begin to shoot more and will kick yourself for selling you custom Limited.

Stick it in the safe and wait a year or 2 and see if your tastes don't come back to the 2011. I can't tell you how many times I have sold a 1911 and then a few months later had to get another one to scratch that itch.

Keep it! I've been in the same place. Here's my rationale...You probably will never be able to replace it for what you currently have in it and you WILL wish you had it back at some point. I started out shooting an M&P 40. Love it and shot it well for the practice time I had available. Found an Edge for a good deal and bought it on impulse, didn't NEED it. Now I love it and am in a position where I do have time to practice. Matches are more fun and I see improvement so I practice more. I've sold off other guns, saddles, watches that were real quality and I just thought I don't use them so grab cash. It's never been worth it as my life changed, I would have used them again and now can't replace them for anything remotely reasonable. Glocks/M&Ps are relatively inexpensive and you can always find one. Not so for the 2011. Keep it! End of ramble...

I could understand if a 2011 was "too much"... like buying a motorcycle that is too heavy, or too much engine... but lets face it... there isn't anything "more" about a 2011 than a Glock. If anything, a Glock is more difficult to master with less practice.

A lot of people I see that want to get into this sport think that a 2011 pistol is something that only belongs in the hands of a higher rank shooter.. that is completely false.

To me it seems like you are saying "I have too nice of a gun for how little I shoot"... which sounds silly.

If the Glock would help your performance get it, but if you want to get a Glock because you think you don't deserve a 2011, don't.