Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tuning my sti tactical

Ash1012

So I recently bought a sti tactical 5 inch. All I have done is put a sti mag well on it. It runs great, the stock recoil master gives it a little dip but nothing to bad. What I am wanting to know is what do GM's and M's or pro shooters do to their 2011's to make them run smoother and flatter? What is the difference between their guns or a custom built gun and my gun?

If this is already covered in a thread somewhere I'm sry but I didn't see it anywhere and I have looked

Reduced Power recoil springs and tune the load to you and the gun. (Look up "recoil spring weight")

(Tuning to you and the gun - bullet weight and powder, different powder burn rates feel different in recoil)

Also check out this post on grip strength - http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=168601#entry1872884

I am not a GM or M. Hell, I am only C. I would say that the biggest difference in their guns is how much they have shot them. They have shot them a lot more, and while expending those rounds, have figured out what works and what doesn't for THEM. Not all will want a gun set up the same way. Shoot a bunch. Try different things. Shoot some more. repeat until you find what works for you

So the main difference is that their guns are properly sprung? I understand how the springs help and understand the after market parts being better quality but does it really make that big of a difference?

Properly for them. There are common weights for the springs, however is is your preference that matters, and as Attila said you have to find what works for you.

Most of the higher end guns are fit by hand. Basically every piece is fit together where factory guns are built a little more quickly so not always as much attention to detail. I have seen a lot of STI's that needed minor tuning to run 100% and that is what the custom guys are doing.

If your gun runs leave it alone. If you are a new shooter focus on your technique before messing with the gun

I have been shooting for about a year, I'm not a "great" shooter by no means but I manage to compete with guys in A and B class for 3rd or 4th place at our local match.

I think I'm going to change the recoil spring out for a 13-14 lb spring and have a trigger job done by a local smith that I have got a lot of good feedback from. I want to put the egw ultimate trigger components in it. But that's about it for enternals. From what I am gathering that's about all I should have to do ( on the inside of the gun ). Am I missing anything or does anybody have other recommendation?

Don't waste money on new internals. Get the trigger join done on the stock ones. They will work fine.

As far as the pros, trigger, sights, and springs......not in that order.

Shoot about three hundred thousand rounds through it or one like it and you can be a pro too.

Alright thanks, and I wish it was that easy to become a pro lol

A GM/M will still be a GM/M with a stock edge.

Tune the trigger a little bit, mess with the recoil spring if you want, make sure you're sights work for you and above all reliable.

I would put a aftec in though as a precaution.

Once you get your A card and start making M classifiers maybe a better gun might help you a significant amount.

Edited by Forgetful

A GM/M will still be a GM/M with a stock edge.

Tune the trigger a little bit, mess with the recoil spring if you want, make sure you're sights work for you and above all reliable.

I would put a aftec in though as a precaution.

Once you get your A card and start making M classifiers maybe a better gun might help you a significant amount.

I agree with you, I understand that it's not the gun it's the shooter. Bob Volgel (sp?) has proven that. I was just wonder what they was using to build their 2011 limited guns

If you are not going to have it set super light stock components work fine. Get it smooth, have the take up and over-travel adjusted.

How light you want your trigger affects the components you may wish to use. Better components will allow a light trigger (2.5 # or lighter) to last longer (i.e. for more rounds).

17lb main spring and 11lb to 10lb recoil spring works great in my edge with 180 grain loads at about 170 power factor.. very flat shooting gun with a less than 2lb trigger press:) main spring is a huge factor change that first and see if you like it:)

Can you light off SRM primers by chance?

not sure what you mean?

17lb main spring and 11lb to 10lb recoil spring works great in my edge with 180 grain loads at about 170 power factor.. very flat shooting gun with a less than 2lb trigger press:) main spring is a huge factor change that first and see if you like it:)

Not sure what you mean?

not sure what you mean?

Not sure what you mean?

I'm experimenting with SR primers in pistol and worried that a hammer spring less than 19lb will not ignite the hard primers.