Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry Fire Wear & Tear Questions

Shadowrider

So I have a very low round count (by our standards) 625-4. I'm fairly certain that it was almost unfired when I got it. It probably only has around 1200 rounds thru it plus 130 or so from the previous owner but I have been dry firing with it so in reality we can at least quadruple that. I'm getting some notch peening and it's bothering me how fast it's coming on. Note that I normally incorporate reload practice into my routine too and have dummy rounds made up so it has 6 of those heavy fat slugs in it while I'm doing this.

1) How many rounds do you get between tuneups?

2) Do you "go easy" during dryfire practice to keep the battering of the cylinder so much?

3) Should I just hunt up a titanium cylinder and be done with it?

4) Should I separate the dry fire from reload practice?

5) Or just quit worrying about it and shoot the damn thing?

Edited by Shadowrider

1. I've had to shim about every 200,000 clicks. I can't say whether that's specifically because of wear on the yoke or whether it's due to bending from the practice, probably a bit of both. I'm up to .006 of shims on my -8, .002 on my -4. The -8 has to be well past a million clicks by now.

2. Hell no. Practice like you shoot.

3. Nah, the peening looks terrible to begin with but seems to find an equilibrium point. I'm still on the same cylinder running ~.2 splits for the majority of the practice.

4. Hell no. Those rounds are necessary to train your finger properly.

5. Both.

I'd go with #5, dryfire practice a lot and CHOOT IT!

I honestly have no idea how much I dryfire in a year's time. I do know I approach live fire of 10k/year through my 625s- dryfire is several times that. The only thing I've ever had happen was a firing pin spring break on me. No biggie.

Interested to hear what the more experienced guys have to say.

Okay guys that helps put my mind at ease a bunch. I've always heard that you could put 100s of thousands of rounds on these but, it sure wasn't looking like it. And this gun just happens to be a very sweet specimen and I want to "abuse" it for a looooooong time.

The peening can be smoothed out. The bigger issue will be broken Firing Pin and Spring. Get a couple of each and test both before any break. Then before a big match, like the Revo Nats :goof: , replace with a new tested one a few live fire practice sessions before you go.

I'd recommend Apex if they have them in stock, C&S would be a second choice.

Oh and don't forget to put some silicone in the Primer Hole of your dummy rounds, it will help.

A -4 should have a hammer mounted firing pin. Mine does. I don't think that changed till the -6 and latter models.

Correct. The FMFP first showed up in the -6.

I might add that some of these cylinder stop notch peening problems are caused--at least in part--by excessive roughness in slamming the gun shut during dryfire reload drills. You don't have to baby them, but some of the handling i have seen from a few of you monkeys is truly cringe-worthy. :sick: Go a little easy.

I might add that some of these cylinder stop notch peening problems are caused--at least in part--by excessive roughness in slamming the gun shut during dryfire reload drills. You don't have to baby them, but some of the handling i have seen from a few of you monkeys is truly cringe-worthy. :sick: Go a little easy.

We need a "like" button a la Facebook.

The peening can be smoothed out. The bigger issue will be broken Firing Pin and Spring. Get a couple of each and test both before any break. Then before a big match, like the Revo Nats :goof: , replace with a new tested one a few live fire practice sessions before you go.

Oh and don't forget to put some silicone in the Primer Hole of your dummy rounds, it will help.

What is a firing pin return spring? Isn't your firing pin affixed to your hammer with a bushing like mine is? (This is a joke)

Lee

What is a firing pin return spring? Isn't your firing pin affixed to your hammer with a bushing like mine is? (This is a joke)

Lee

:surprise:

Yea, guess I need to pay attention to the -'s huh. Though I don't have a catologic memory of these things.

But I've also heard of the Hammer mounted FP's snapping off, don't know how many snaps it might take.

Edited by pskys2