Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 FOR CCW?

G34 CORDY

I prefer the 1911/2011 style guns for gun sports. I have some fine Wilson's, Ed Brown's, and Les Baer's that I carry on occasion but my number one carry gun is a Glock. Why, because if it gets roughed up, dropped, dirty, sweaty, or whatever it's a Glock, didn't cost a fortune and will go bang every time. I've carried a 1911 for a lot of years but anymore I prefer the lighter, less fuss of a plastic gun for the majority of my carry.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Iam back to the idea of a carry gun and bored before I go to work so let's talk lol. Been looking at the G19, some sig models, CZ models and of course the 1911 of some kind. My run down is I like the Glock because its a Glock but I don't shoot them as accurate as the others, I had Sigs mine were very accurate and reliable, I like CZ's but never shot there compact line, the 1911 I shoot very accurate but in the back of my mind I question it's reliability. If I were to get a 1911 it would be a Dan Wesson I believe. For a carry gun I don't care if the gun gets wear and tear because its a tool not something to show off so even a expensive 1911 would fine its way around town alot. I also clean my guns alot so Iam not one just to use it with no cleanings I can thank the Army for that. Also Iam debating the 9mm vs .45

My run down is I like the Glock because its a Glock but I don't shoot them as accurate as the others, I had Sigs mine were very accurate and reliable, I like CZ's but never shot there compact line, the 1911 I shoot very accurate but in the back of my mind I question it's reliability.

Have you had reliability problems with 1911's? Both of mine (sig and trojan) run flawlessly with all types of ammo. So does my p01. I like the idea of shooting what I carry alot, so I frequently use the p01 for 20-30 rounds of just warming up and watching the sights, or a few weak-hand bill drills, then switch to my race gun for the rest of practice.

My Springfield RO 1911 ran great had a few buddys that had problems with there 1911's so it just made me think alittle about the platform. Now that I have been using my 2011 limited gun in competition I figured it would be good to use the same platform (1911) as a carry gun. Also like that the 1911 is slim and comfortable to carry. I will probley end up with a G19 or alike also for the camping trips/more dirty type of carry. I had great luck with Sigs also. It's hard to find CZ's to try or look at, I have a CZ Shadow Custom for Production and it has been awesome. As far as the 1911 goes how reliable is a 9mm in that platform compared to the .45?

I really got my eye on a Dan Wesson Eco, but being a Alloy frame how will it hold up with some use? Or do I need to look at the V-Bob?

Edited by G34 CORDY

I carried a .45 1911 Government for a few years. IMO, it was too bulky.

I now carry a G36 in a IWB Blade-Tech Razor. It's very concealable with just a T-shirt. If 6+1 of .45 is not enough, I'm just spraying and praying. Not a good idea.

So Iam back to the idea of a carry gun and bored before I go to work so let's talk lol. Been looking at the G19, some sig models, CZ models and of course the 1911 of some kind. My run down is I like the Glock because its a Glock but I don't shoot them as accurate as the others, I had Sigs mine were very accurate and reliable, I like CZ's but never shot there compact line, the 1911 I shoot very accurate but in the back of my mind I question it's reliability. If I were to get a 1911 it would be a Dan Wesson I believe. For a carry gun I don't care if the gun gets wear and tear because its a tool not something to show off so even a expensive 1911 would fine its way around town alot. I also clean my guns alot so Iam not one just to use it with no cleanings I can thank the Army for that. Also Iam debating the 9mm vs .45

Also anyone have any experience with the STI carry guns? It seems STI has been hit or miss with there reliability and quailty lately. STI is only a few hours from the house if I had a issue but should I choose STI over a Dan Wesson ect ?

Edited by G34 CORDY

My Springfield RO 1911 ran great had a few buddys that had problems with there 1911's so it just made me think alittle about the platform.

Well heck, if I judged glocks based on what I see at matches, I would NEVER consider owning one. Between amateur gunsmithing, hop-up parts and various levels of reloading skill, most anything will manage to not run.

They were factory guns never said they were match guns or they did there own gunsmithing. Also factory ammo but it sounds like you know them also? Did not say everyone didn't run but far more than Glocks ect. I only had one 1911 and now a 2011 and my 1911 ran good should of never sold it but wanted a competition gun (2011). And my STI Edge had to go back to STI it just would not run but after I got It back it was better but then had Caylor Customs do a tune on it.

Edited by G34 CORDY

As far as the 1911 goes how reliable is a 9mm in that platform compared to the .45?

Remember the case length on a .45 is longer than a 9mm. 9mm cases have a tendency to spin in the ejection port during extraction, which can lead to failures to eject and/or feed. You'll need a really reliable extractor and ejector to make it consistent enough for EDC.

You might consider a .38 Super instead--you'll get the same magazine capacity, a little more power in the cartridge, and a longer case.

When I ordered my Open gun, the builder recommended a .38 Super over a 9mm for reliability and smooth feeding. The only reason I didn't go with a Super is because I'm heavily invested in 9mm and would have to lay out a lot more cash to start loading .38 Super.

Also anyone have any experience with the STI carry guns? It seems STI has been hit or miss with there reliability and quailty lately. STI is only a few hours from the house if I had a issue but should I choose STI over a Dan Wesson ect ?

Yes , yes and yes . Especially being so close , they will fix anything you need asafp. I had an ejector come loose on a trojan , I had it back within a week and a half . I wasn't living down the street at all, and to boot they installed an aluminum trigger for me for free. I had asked about how much it would be to install it and they just threw it in. Because they are production guns some things do slip through the cracks, but their customer service is ON POINT. I still recommend the Trojan to anyone buying a 1911 at the 1k price point. Their carry guns are fantastic, you can go single or double stack with a bunch of options, one being almost identical to the emp, but BETTER

I will sure look at STI as a carry option for sure. Iam just making sure Iam buying a gun that will work when I need it to. I served two deployments in Iraq so weapon reliability is very important to me.

I wouldn't think it would print any worse then a g19 . I carry a g19 iwb with just a t shirt all day urrrrryday

Check out the widths of the VIP or maybe the 3" tactical and compare it to a standard double stack compact gun.

I carry a Commander .45 acp in a iwb holster all the time. Use factory ammo. Doesn't miss a beat. As far as ambi safety have not had that problem. I use either a Garrett Solo, Crossbred super tuck.

Also will carry a BHP in a VMII at times. Very comfortable also.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Mike