Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 FOR CCW?

G34 CORDY

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What holster will you be running?

I've been carrying a G19 for the past 5 years in a comptac mtac and its been the most comfortable setup I've had, from cold weather to hot weather light dress, with no printing.

Hey all, I have been looking at different options for a ccw gun and what comes to mind so far is a 1911 still unsure of maker, Glock 26 or 30s and something from CZ. I would like a 1911 because its slim and comfortable to carry, .45acp and I shoot the 1911 pretty good but what worries me is are they reliable enough for ccw? I hear some people love shooting the 1911 but would not carry it so thats why I turn to you guys for some advice on the 1911 to carry.

Cordy

I have a Glock 30 and a few 1911s. The 45s can get uncomfortable to carry all day because they are all heavy and big compared to a 9mm or small revolver. As others have said, the 9mm EMP is a good platform and much easier to carry all day every day. So is a Glock 17 or 19. Just my personal experience, not repeated Internet gossip.

Most days, I carry a Ruger LCR or J frame Smith and Wesson because they are convenient and I don't mind carrying them. I don't get any cool points for carrying a small reliable firearm but I do have the ability to protect myself and my children if needs be.

What you carry is up to you. Be sure you practice with it often.

And a quality 1911 won't be an issue. You don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get one either. All of the major US producers built a good 1911 Government Model or Commander in 45, 40, and 9mm.

I have a Colt Officers ACP 45 that I've carried for 20 years. I've never had a reliability problem with that gun, If I had I would never have kept it around that long. Most of the time I've carried Hydra-shoks in it and never had a feeding problem with them.

Its hard to really recommend without a price range. I have a few Springfields they are awesome and carry the best warranty in the industry. The sigs I've seen seem to be built well, but I've never shot one. Sti builds good stuff and the mid to high grade stuff is made in TX.

I think the best thing going in the midsize 1911 is dw right now. The cco is a neat gun and one of the first commander /officer highbreds. They also have a few options in bobtail frames which appeals to me (as I said before that's my primary carry). The are the highest grade production gun on the market...down side is price.

I'd go +1 on the smiths too. I'd probably buy one of those before any of the 3 you list.

Take a look at the STI Guardian before you make a final decision. 3.9" bbl is almost a commander but longer than an officer but has the shorter frame of the officer. Mine has been 100% reliable with handloads and factory, accurate, and carries very well. Bought on GB for around $900 nib.

Take a look at the STI Guardian before you make a final decision. 3.9" bbl is almost a commander but longer than an officer but has the shorter frame of the officer. Mine has been 100% reliable with handloads and factory, accurate, and carries very well. Bought on GB for around $900 nib.

+1

The all steel build also help to tame the recoil of those SD loads. Very comfortable in a good holster and strong belt.

My 9mm in a MS Nexus setup.

post-36011-0-99914500-1361410692_thumb.j

post-36011-0-01456700-1361410703_thumb.j

These are my EDC rotation. I'm 5'5" weigh 150lbs, and not "big boned." And I don't have a problem with concealing a full size 1911/2011. I don't wear x-large clothing either.

It's all about having a good holster AND a gun belt. I use either a MS VM2 or Garrett Indistries Fusion IWB, and an Instructor's belt.

STI-Duty-One-and-Remsport-Rail.jpg

UGC_STI-2011-Duty-One_zps835a2e5f.jpg

And for those that don't want an ambi, that's your preference. However, I will say this, I have ambi TS on all of my guns, since I'm a lefty. And I've been carrying ED, for almost 4 years, and only once has it been accidentally flicked off.

If yours doesn't have a positive click for deactivation, then the ambi wasn't fitted correctly. I've found this to be the case from most production guns. If you have a good gunsmith, or knows how to DIY, then it can be address to have a positive click.

+1 on the STI Guardian. I have one in 9mm that's been my primary EDC for several years. Single sided safety, very accurate, eats any ammo I've ever used, and reliable as the sun coming up. Carries great in my Crossbreed Super Tuck Deluxe on an Ares Gear Ranger belt. I also have a Ranger in .45 and an aluminum framed VIP in 9mm (both STI) that I carry occasionally, but the Guardian is my most trusted friend.

• 3 weeks later...

My carry 1911 is a Springfield v-10. It is an older model that is no longer in production but I have never had a problem out of it. I have about 700-800 rounds through it and I have no idea how many times it was shot before I bought it. Honestly just buy what you like, putt a few 100 rounds through it and you should be good to go

• 2 months later...

The Springfield Lightweight Operator is an excellent choice if you want a light and slim but full sized 1911. If you shoot a lot, the aluminum framed Colt wears where the frame functions as a feed ramp (especially if you shoot wide mouthed hollowpoints) and will not be covered under warranty by Colt. The S.A. Lightweight Operator has a barrel with an integral feed ramp and is warranteed for life. I like Blade-Tech's holsters.

The BEST production option I have seen for a 1911 carry gun is the Wiley Clap Lightweight Colt Commander. They make a very good gun out of the box and with a little help can make a GREAT gun.

I was wondering what type of help would make it great? I recently picked one up.

For good or bad, we're all different and the best CCW gun for each of us is going to be different. Some should have a really long heavy trigger pull to hand to the jury to convince them it wasn't an accidental discharge. Most are probably well suited with striker fired designs. A very few may be best served with the cocked and locked variants.

I love the 1911 design and the 2011 updates, but they're not the best choice for concealed carry for everyone. A good carry trigger on one might be say 4.0 pounds with little pretravel and almost no overtravel. This would require a very calm person to use properly when faced with an armed miscreant or hoodlum. The danger of an accidental discharge (remember you're already cocked and locked) is very real. The ideal person for such a gun would practice regularly and perhaps have even experience with holding people at gun point (perhaps even twenty years of law enforcement experience including ten years in LA/DC/CHI/NY (or some other hell hole, excuse me, I mean a... large metropolitan city), much time on various taskforces, and a year or more in the violent street gang unit, etc. And thousands of arrest, not to mention the hundreds of hours of court time and experience. And the final best case scenario additionally would include that our good guy's adrenalin glands should not function. :roflol:

Sorry it's the story of my life and the well meaning gun store clerks still offer helpful advice such as, "The 1911 (or some other nice SA only semiauto) is the absolutely worst carry choice you can make!"