Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FNS-9 Competition & "The List"

warpspeed

I was going through FB today and saw a post form Dave S. shooting the FNS-9 Competition @ The Florida Open in Production. Looked pretty neat so I started my Google search for info on them ( price, availability etc ) and found nothing. Absolutely nothing.

The USPSA -NROI Production Gun List starts off with the requirement of " 2000 manufactured and available to the general public".

So how is this gun on the list ? What am I missing ?

Edited by warpspeed

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a chance to shoot the regular FNS a while back.I was not very impressed. This was mostly due to the stock trigger (gritty and tough, even for a stock striker fire gun), and the sights (POI was low, landing behind the dot on the front sight). The sights on the competition model look like they're much improved over the old 3-dot sights. If FN actually sells the gun with a good trigger from the factory, I can see this becoming pretty popular. It's a pretty tough market they're trying to break into, though. It will be interesting to see where this goes.

The gun is on the list for production. That means FN submitted the paperwork stating they met the requirements.

And no one bothered to check ?

Oh no, now I'm gonna have to buy one :(

If you find anyone selling them, please post the link.

Yea I'm with Sasquatch. I already had a stock FNS-9, and it was garbage. I didn't even keep it a week or put a whole 50 round box thru it. But a 5" model with a better trigger, and Sevigny himself shooting it...

I sure miss the Sevigny Team Glock days. I wonder why he never got together with S&W. I did notice he runs an SVI Open gun though. But then again who ever though Duff would have been shooting for team Taurus... They don't even offer a competition gun, but whatever right.

This pistol doesn't show up anywhere on the FNH-USA web site. I found some other info on the internet where it was a prototype last summer. It does beg the question of how it meets the requirements for the USPSA production list. If there are 2000 of these available to the general public, I can't find any place where they are now or ever have been for sale.

Unless there i factory and aftermarket support, inexpensive and available mags, i see it going nowhere. there are plenty of people still waiting on 45 FN mags

It is going far enough that a previous national champion is competing with one.

I asked John about it. He said the only way the gun would have been put on the list is if FNH submitted the paperwork saying they had made 2k. I will say I've seen these guns for over a year in the hands of team shooters. I know FNH has released some guns in Europe and other overseas locations before the US before. Not sure if that's the case here but we don't require manufacturers to open their log books to prove the 2k number. It's an honor system.

Unless there i factory and aftermarket support, inexpensive and available mags, i see it going nowhere. there are plenty of people still waiting on 45 FN mags

It is going far enough that a previous national champion is competing with one.

True enough,and he get paid to do so.

But will the average shooter accept it if there are no mags, holsters, mod parts available, and at acceptable pricing??

Edited by ProGunGuy

Truth be told, it really doesn't say anything that a national level competitor is using one. I mean if MKS Hi Point sponsored Sevigny with enough money, he could probably take one of those hunks of junk to single stack nationals.....

Perspectively I think it speaks more about what MOST productions shooters are using, rather than a particular individual. I doubt Sevigny has any advantage in running the FNH gun other than thats who sponsored him...

I bought a FNS 9 and shot it fairly well at an IDPA match. Shooters Connection had a Bladetech holster and dual mag pouch in stock and I had them in a couple days. That being said, I agree it has a long way to go to compete with Glock, M&P, etc. The stock trigger sucks, and even after some polishing is still sub-par compared to a Canyon Creek trigger job or Apex, etc. I tried to install a FO front sight with negative results discussed in another topic here. Unless the comp model is a lot better, it won't make it. There's a huge difference between being paid to shoot something and paying to shoot it. Dave Sevigny could probably outshoot me with a pellet gun, so the fact he uses them doesn't really work for me. So far I'm not real impressed and I had a FNX before that I had to dump at a loss because of no support. Perhaps that will change, but for right now it doesn't work for me.

Truth be told, it really doesn't say anything that a national level competitor is using one. I mean if MKS Hi Point sponsored Sevigny with enough money, he could probably take one of those hunks of junk to single stack nationals.....

Perspectively I think it speaks more about what MOST productions shooters are using, rather than a particular individual. I doubt Sevigny has any advantage in running the FNH gun other than thats who sponsored him...

Couldn't have put it better

So using that logic a D class shooter can load up with more than 10 rounds, put their holster where they want, hell even run a comp.......it won't change who wins right.

Rules are supposed to be rules.

I'm willing to assume that none of the players intentionally did anything wrong. I'm sure NROI took FN on their word. Maybe FN misunderstood the requirements, or there was some other mis-communication. My question is, what happens next? Does NROI follow up with FNH?